Paypal ask me to return the item to seller at my own cost, but the cost exceeds the refund value

nikolacm
Contributor
Contributor

Ordered the item from a facebook ad. Paid with Paypal. Later on I found out that the seller fooled many buyers like me and sent the item which looked nothing like the item he was advertising, and of a lot less value. I tried to cancel my order but one of the seller's e-mails was non existent, or on the other (provided by paypal) he did not reply to my emails. After some time I also received the item that was nothing like the one advertised and of maximum third of the value I paid. I opened a dispute in the Paypal resolution center. 

Now Paypal is asking me to return the item to the seller at my own cost to China to receive the refund!! The cost of returning the item from my country to China is more than the refund value, and a lot more than the item is actually worth!!! Paypal gives me only two options to respond to this claim. One is to cancel the claim and the other is to return the item and provide tracking number. 

Since this seller is obviously committing fraud in this elaborate scheme, he is counting not sending the item back, and Paypal is of no help, and is obviously on the side of the seller for who they must have numerous complaints. Plus the seller has provided the address to return the item in Chinese!!! No one here can read Chinese and the post office does not know exactly where to send it! In any case I am loosing money for sure, whether I return the item at my own cost or don't return the item and don't get the refund.

Is there any chance I can get my refund without returning the item? I am prepared to provide any evidence that the seller is a fraud and that the item he sent me has nothing to do with the item he advertised. 

Please help.

Login to Me Too
34 REPLIES 34

Toffeenose
Contributor
Contributor

The PayPal policy in this regard is seriously flawed! They really need to change it!

Login to Me Too

Djgazh1
Contributor
Contributor
Im the same got scammed from a chinese seller..item sent doesnt Represent the advertIsed item..now to get a refund will cost me more than half The Amount paid..
Login to Me Too

1faizi
Contributor
Contributor
I have the same issue , Ilike why do I return used coutnerfeit mk watch at my expense when it was seller who did scam, already showed all proofs seller didn't respond because he's guilty , calling PayPal but due to covid they aren't attending calls, it's so painful to call
Login to Me Too

colj

same here, i have been told to ship item to alipay singapore, the quotes coming back from couriers tops 100 euros, the item was 70 euros including import tax that i wouldnt get back anyway. I will only order cheap things now off aliexpress, its a joke, 

Login to Me Too

outdone5
Contributor
Contributor

This same thing happened to me in March 2021. I sent the item back to China anyway, it cost me more but I wanted a refund, now a couple of days ago the item was mailed back to me even though I got my refund, I don’t know why they mailed it back unless the China address was a fraud also. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.