Paypal are treating me like a criminal because I don't have a social security number.

Beeza
Contributor
Contributor

I am a foreigner.  British to be exact, but I live in the Dominican Republic  I opened this paypal account over 15 years ago to make eBay purchases and get my packages sent to my mailing address in Miami.  It had never been an issue until last week.  A friend of mine owed me some money and he asked me if he could send it to my PayPal account.  I had never received money before, but I thought it could come in handy as eBay tokens.  So he sent me $600.

When I tried to make an eBay purchase with the money on my account, I found out that I needed to remove a limitation on my account and verify my identity.  They kept asking for my SS number and I kept repeating that because I am not American, I don't have one.  It was impossible to speak to someone on the phone and I was going round and round in circles through their automated system.  Eventually, someone did actually ring me.  The customer agent was very friendly and helpful.  He asked me if I did have any American govt issued documents.  I replied that I have a valid US visa, A US pilot's licence and a US airplane mechanic's licence.  He said that would be fine.  Just upload those documents and the limitation will be lifted and I will be able to use my balance.

I sent those documents.  The reply I received back from them was horrifying.  My account will be permanently limited.  The cards I have on file will be blocked for any Paypal future transactions.  The account cannot be closed down as they reserve the right to maintain and review the account as I am considered to be high risk or fraudulent.

So to recap, Paypal have on their file:  My true identity confirmed by my passport and a visa, US govt issued licences, a recent bank statement, all my bank and credit cards on file.  I have told them that I do not consent to them having this information on me, yet they refuse to delete my file and close my account.

Additionally, when my friend sent me the $600, they took $26 in charges and they have a gall to say that I am committing the fraud!

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.