Paypal & the Perfect Scam

ibrooks
New Community Member

I bought a $25 golf mat off facebook (bad idea).  Chinese vendor sent me a golf ball, which cost him less than $1 to ship from China to Canada.  I disputed and Paypal's judgement is that I send it back from Canada to China (with tracking) which is $40.  They knew the postage cost discrepency beforehand and knew Paypal would resolve this way - a great scam and they're making millions.  Unfortunately Paypal has decided to aid in the fraud, and won't ask the vendor to refund. 

Any ideas on how I can address?

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ibrooks 

That's how PayPal resolves disputes, return for a refund, if item shipped is Significantly Not as Described. PayPal can't let you keep both item and money. If the outcome is not to your satisfaction, you can dispute through your credit card instead, if that is how you paid. Once you do that, the PayPal dispute is closed and you must resolve it through your credit card exclusively.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

ibrooks
New Community Member

I appreciate the advice and will try to take this up but I think it may be past my date to dispute with Visa.  I posted pictures of the golf ball that was sent from China.  Paypal should have seen through this and judged that I should get a refund vs. spending $40 returning a golfball to China.  That's how the scam works, but I don't think a human is present to make the right call here.  It's just a computer algorithm, so no common sense or weighing of evidence as any reasonable person would do (and then it makes me check the "I'm not a robot button at the bottom to post this comment...!!!).  

I'll try Visa - thanks.

Login to Me Too

ibrooks
New Community Member

Yep - 30 days have passed and Visa won't dispute.  What a great scam!  I got so many notes telling me "please be patient, don't cancel or dispute, your golf mat is coming".  Fack!!

Login to Me Too

LJT46307
Contributor
Contributor

PayPal has strung me along for four months waiting for a resolution and now wants me to send the golf ball to China at a cost more than the dispute when the golf ball was shipped from Reno, NV NOT China. If PayPal allows this to happen over and over there is no reason for these scammers to stop ripping off customers. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.