Paypal Scam: Friends and Family Payment for a goods transaction

kcflanders
Contributor
Contributor

Has Paypal ever assisted anyone who was scammed by being asked for Friends and Family Payment for a goods transaction?

Paypal is very aware of this scam, for the average user the first time they've even heard of this time of transaction is when another member asks for them to send them money in that form. Usually something like "hey, can you send the money as friends and family? I can drop the price a couple bucks since I won't be charged the fee." 

Paypal can easily eliminate this problem by requiring a person to check a box acknowledging, 

1. This payment is not for a good transaction. 
  2. I am aware I have no ability to dispute this transaction once sent.

So why has Paypal made this so easy for scammers?

What actions will Paypal take if there is a problem?

What are the chances a State Attorney General might take some action to make the two bullet points above happen?

Login to Me Too
119 REPLIES 119

Simon53612
Contributor
Contributor
Completely agree with you.
Login to Me Too

Saraaugust540
Contributor
Contributor
And I understand your point But take into account I am just 18 barely not a minor. Not only that but I have not just one problem but two, one of them being that she pretended to be PayPal and tried to get my card info and PayPal is still saying they can’t do anything. I didn’t know there was different types of payments as I use PayPal mostly for online shopping so usually I log in and the checkout takes care of the rest. And on top of that PayPal is aware of the scams under this separate method of payment. So to everyone who has commented on this saying I’m not smart for not reading the terms and such I’m very sorry That not everyone is as diligent as you. I’m very happy that you will never fall for a scam because of it. But I am not you I did not read the terms because usually it’s the same legal jargon the same Repetitive legal agreement usually just asking you to follow the law. But at this point it’s not just that she stole 200$ from me and PayPal can’t help me I underStand though I believe the policy is wrong and should be changed to protect all especially if your someone like me and unaware there is even different methods to pay with through a “secure” money transfer app/website. I went to ask my mom what I should do and she had no idea that you had the option to use family and friends either. So what do you do when you can prove a scam, not just that but you can prove they are impersonating PayPal (which is against PayPal policy isn’t it?) and they still won’t help? Even not getting restitution, they could still investigate her and take into consideration all of the events that transpired.
Login to Me Too

dingpotpot
Contributor
Contributor

so this mean paypal wont investigate and help you get the money back?

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@dingpotpot

Of course not.  If you want help from PayPal, just follow all of their policies for buyer/seller protection.

Login to Me Too

Saraaugust540
Contributor
Contributor
Even though PayPal does have set policies I still didn’t not know this was even an option before the transaction let alone that it’s not protected under PayPal. So while I understand they can’t refund my money the least they CAN do is investigate her and flag her account especially after I provided proof of the scam and that she pretended to be PayPal and steal card info
Login to Me Too

Simon53612
Contributor
Contributor
When my son got scammed he didn’t understand about friends and family not protecting. He also checked to see whether the seller was reputable by looking in places like Twitter. If it wasn’t so easy for scammers to take advantage of this feature they wouldn’t use friends and family to rip people off. There’s a “clue” in there that suggests it ISN’T obvious to a lot of people that there’s a risk they will be scammed.
Login to Me Too

Saraaugust540
Contributor
Contributor
EXACTLY a lot of people think it’s so self explanatory but a lot of people like myself and your son are not those people. In my personal opinion all payments should be protected especially if you have documented proof that you’ve been scammed or atleast try to investigate the issue. PayPal needs an update
Login to Me Too

Saraaugust540
Contributor
Contributor
PayPal will not investigate as they consider both problems one case with a transaction type they have no jurisdiction to change or refund. They will say the exact same thing to anyone else who had this problem so I suggest using your local police to file a report especially if your in a similar situation and KNOW WHO AND WHERE THEY ARE. I’m gonna tell you right now having all the proof and information and still being told there’s nothing they will do to help us the most frustrating thing.
Login to Me Too

sidemouse
Contributor
Contributor

@kcflanders wrote:

Has Paypal ever assisted anyone who was scammed by being asked for Friends and Family Payment for a goods transaction?

Paypal is very aware of this scam, for the average user the first time they've even heard of this time of transaction is when another member asks for them to send them money in that form. Usually something like "hey, can you send the money as friends and family? I can drop the price a couple bucks since I won't be charged the fee.

Let me get this straight:

A stranger is asking your someone to send money as friends and family?

Hello!!!

You see nothing wrong with that statement?

<SPOILER ALERT!>

A stranger is NOT friends and family!

</SPOILER>

So don't do it.

It's not paypal's job to save you or your friends or someone or whoever from themselves, if they can't figure out that you shouldn't give your money away to strangers then I'm not so sure anyone can help that.

Then there's always this:

@DPCreations wrote:

@mishy1950

It looks like bought something from an eBay seller but decided to help the seller avoid payment processing fees by paying with the friends/family option. This is not a scam,  your choice to violate PayPal policy and terms of service to use friends/family for purchased goods.  You can't just cancel money sent as friends/family such payment is not suspicious as you willinging made the payment.  There is nothing to displute as you, yourself, made the payment freely with no expectation of goods/services.

Big chicken dinner winner.

Login to Me Too

Simon53612
Contributor
Contributor
I thought it was known as fraud. Are you suggesting EVERYONE who has been defrauded is stupid? Further, that it is okay for the perpetrator to take advantage of them because it serves them right?
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.