Paypal Scam: Friends and Family Payment for a goods transaction

kcflanders
Contributor
Contributor

Has Paypal ever assisted anyone who was scammed by being asked for Friends and Family Payment for a goods transaction?

Paypal is very aware of this scam, for the average user the first time they've even heard of this time of transaction is when another member asks for them to send them money in that form. Usually something like "hey, can you send the money as friends and family? I can drop the price a couple bucks since I won't be charged the fee." 

Paypal can easily eliminate this problem by requiring a person to check a box acknowledging, 

1. This payment is not for a good transaction. 
  2. I am aware I have no ability to dispute this transaction once sent.

So why has Paypal made this so easy for scammers?

What actions will Paypal take if there is a problem?

What are the chances a State Attorney General might take some action to make the two bullet points above happen?

Login to Me Too
119 REPLIES 119

2wheelin71
Contributor
Contributor

I think I will use bank transfer option the amount from my paypall which is FREE, then pay for the goods from my bank useing bac's AGAIN all FREE that's the way to do it there is alway a way round the problem.  Recap I want to buy an item I have the balance in my paypall account just transfer to my registard bank account ( no fee's ), then pay the seller using my debit card (no charges) no extra costs or am I missing somethig no need to use F&F so not going against paypal rules.

Login to Me Too

Simon53612
Contributor
Contributor
Nice tip.
Login to Me Too

Simon53612
Contributor
Contributor
Theft implies intent. It’s clear that in many cases people don’t understand what they’re doing so I would say in many cases people are NOT committing theft. That would be like saying if people select free postage on a book (from a very large online bookseller, they’re defrauding the seller of the money they would have got if the more expensive delivery charge was selected. I think there are lots of good points in this thread that people are making and for the greater part everyone is right. We should all look closer at terms and conditions, but the fact that someone hasn’t doesn’t make someone stupid or in anyway to blame if they get ripped off. Why can’t PayPal put a warning up; it isn’t difficult and would improve customer experience which is commonly acknowledged as a major factor in the Services Industry. Nothing can excuse fraud. The scammers encourage people to use Friends and family, so trusting people are easier targets. And I especially feel the pain of people who’ve lost money. Nobody chooses to be ripped-off, nor do they deserve it.
Login to Me Too

Tsoilihoi
Contributor
Contributor

The problem is with Paypal who labels a business transaction as a protection plan offer and a personal friend, a trusted person.  And the protection plan box is checked by default.  It appears that Paypal is doing this on purpose.  When reporting this as a security issue, the suggested fix is the protection plan.  So the cure for the problem is the very program that has created the problem.  And why should the receiver be held for charges incurred at the competence of the sender or the deceit of Paypal.  The app setup is purposeful and intentionally vague.

Login to Me Too

Tsoilihoi
Contributor
Contributor

Further.  I watched several videos on Youtube and as of a couple of months ago the app was intuitive.  The new app is devious!  There is no mention of family or business purchase but the new deal is protection or trusted friend...  and the reps don't know.  This is not cool!!!  Have a look at the app and if you agree, let paypal know.  To me, this is Paypal pushing a new protection plan; a renaming of known methods which is not intuitive to even their representatives.  Keywork: BS

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Tsoilihoi 

When you phone paypals call centre you more than likely get someone who puts in your question into their 'help' option and reads a script that they think applies, the amount of what customer services agents 'do not' know beggars belief sometimes and the wrong advice I have seen being given on this forum over the years is scary at times.

As for paypal.me with a personal account, its supposed to be for just friends/family BUT if you do the odd sale using it the buyer can tick the box to make it a goods transaction (in some countries) OR as you said above.

For business accounts any paypal.me is automatically goods/services.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Tsoilihoi
Contributor
Contributor

thank you for you answer...  I just spoke with Paypal and did some testing with my wife's account which does not have a paypal.me link.

When sending money, the screen that appears after the amount page is   "A business transaction"  and below it "family or friends"

That's real clear and easy to understand.

I person, such as myself having a paypal.me link gets an entirely different screen.

"The buyer protection screen" and below it "Trusted Person"

These labels are counter-intuitive ...  ALSO  the default check mark is on the Buyer Protection so

if the user clicks on continue then it is considered a business transaction.  In this regard by setting the

default to the Buyer Protection item, Paypal has made the choice for the uniformed and benefits perhaps

undeservebly.

I'm not trying to make a federal case out of this, but to the uniformed it is not intuitive and Paypal does not make

it easy or fair by defaulting to the Business Protection.  The green check mark on on of the dialog boxes is the only

choice given in the whole transaction.

Finally, what speaks best to my concern is the fact that the screens presented to the user change depending on whether you

have paypal.me turned on.  I do believe that the vague wording and default checkmark are intentional and I think that Paypal

is better than that!

Login to Me Too

Simon53612
Contributor
Contributor
Hmm. I still don’t agree that these people are committing theft. They’re not all taking something from PayPal intentionally. 1) taking something isn’t the same as not giving. 2) Intent isn’t always present. Therefore in many instances a lot of these people are inadvertently not giving. Is it right to state that all people who have been defrauded are thieves? That’s the sort of sweeping generalisation that underlies most forms of discrimination. Further to that, the more you generalise, the more likely you are to be wrong. Simple logic.
Login to Me Too

2wheelin71
Contributor
Contributor

I have many friends through social media and belong to a group. We sell items to each other and been asked to use the family and friends option.  I don't see any problems in this as a trust is built up over time if paypal allows this and save fee's all the better.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@2wheelin71

Paypal does not allow it as you are breaking their rules and risk your paypal account being limited.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.