Paypal Resolution is a joke.

Ngbitr
Contributor
Contributor

Dear All,

I've got a decision from the Paypal about a dispute from a buyer.

I was selling a Macbook Pro online (facebook and Gumtree). The buyer asked me to deliver the item and after that filed a claim that the item was not as described.

He's definitely a cheater and trying steal money back. I would believe that Paypal dispute team easily recognised that but they didn't.

The ridiculous thing is that the Paypal requested the buyer to return the item back to me and the buyer provided a fake tracking number, which was even before the claim.

(The claim was filed on 2 March, I sent the item on 25 Feb, delivered on 26 Feb, the tracking number provided by the buyer returned the item to me started on 26 Feb and delivered to me on 28 Feb???).  I indeed got nothing back.

However, the result is that "We've completed our review of this case and decided in favour of your buyer." meaning I lost my item??? I couldn't understand and couldn't appeal against the result as there is no option to do that.

Would you have any advice to get money back and to appeal against the outcome of the dispute.

Thank you very much.   

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Ngbitr 

It is not beyond the realm of possibility that the buyer returned it the same day it was delivered. The item, according to you, was delivered on Feb 26 and it was returned on the same date since you said the tracking started on Feb 26, yes? Unless there is a timestamp that says otherwise. But what you need to check is if the return parcel was addressed to your street address by contacting the post office for more information and receive some kind of official document stating their findings as to why you didn't receive the item back. 

I reckon the reason the buyer filed a dispute on March 2 is that the return was delivered on Feb 28 and they didn't receive a refund.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Ngbitr
Contributor
Contributor

I will try to look at the timestamp in detail; however, it is sensible that the buyer should send back the item to me once the claim has been made (and Paypal accepts the option to return the item) (which was on 2 March and 5 March respectively). It is straightforward to see the buyer is a cheater. Any solution to appeal against the outcome as it is an expensive laptop; and I lost money without doing anything wrong????

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Ngbitr 

Its not necessary to return after a claim is filed. Some buyers just return things without bothering to file a dispute first, until they see they haven't been refunded and return tracking info shows "delivered".

You'll need to compare timestamps on the tracking, contact your post office and ask them to investigate and check if the street address on the package of the return tracking number is addressed to you. If you can't find evidence of any wrong doing on the part of the buyer, PayPal can't overturn their decision as there is no new compelling evidence.

Login to Me Too

Ngbitr
Contributor
Contributor

Thank for your advice.

It seemed the return package was signed by someone else, not me, and wasn't delivered to my address. I will ask the Post Office to provide details of the tracking number that the buyer provided. After that, what should I do to appeal against the decision as there is no option to appeal the closed case.

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Ngbitr 

Ok, now we're getting somewhere. Once you have the documentation, scan it, pdf it and ready to upload when PayPal asks.

You can contact customer service to appeal:

1. Log on.
  2. Click HELP at the top menu.
  3. Scroll down and click CONTACT US.
  4. Scroll down to click CALL US or other contact options.

Or contact via social media:

Facebook (UK): https://www.facebook.com/PayPalUK

Twitter (UK): @paypalUK 

Facebook (US): https://www.facebook.com/paypal

Twitter (US): @AskPayPal 

Note that due to the Covid-19 situation, PayPal staff is reduced so response times are longer than usual.

Login to Me Too

Ngbitr
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much for your help.

By the way, do you know how can I get evidence from Royal mail as I only get the tracking number from Paypal resolution center.

How can I prove that this tracking number was not delivered to my address? Whether Royal Mail can provide such kind of information?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.