Paypal Refund but Buyer refuses to return the product

Andy209
Contributor
Contributor

Sounds fraudulant to me, but a buyer in another country bought a laptop from me, said it didn't work, claimed a refund and will not return the product even though he is using it. That basically amounts to theft. Shame on you Paypal for falling for this!

What can be done about this?

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Andy209 

How did buyer claim a refund? Was a PayPal dispute or credit card chargeback filed?

Note: credit card chargebacks incur a PayPal chargeback fee on top of the amount disputed.

If the buyer filed dispute through their credit card, the item may not be required to be returned. Credit card chargebacks are different from PayPal disputes. The credit card issuer makes the final decision on the case, not PayPal.

With PayPal Significantly Not As Described (SNAD) disputes, PayPal typically would require the buyer to return item before getting a refund unless the laptop is counterfeit.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Andy209
Contributor
Contributor

This was a Paypal dispute. My account is now in debit to the value of the refund. I removed my bank account from paypal, so now it's just sitting there as a debit balance. The buyer has clearly said in an email that he has changed a couple of components in the laptop and will not return it. 

Login to Me Too

Andy209
Contributor
Contributor

I should just add that this originated as an eBay transaction.

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Andy209 

When a PayPal dispute is opened, PayPal normally deducts amount and holds it pending outcome of dispute.

Has the case been escalated to PayPal to step in and review the case?

If the buyer says one thing in email and another in the dispute, PayPal is reviewing the case with one arm tied to its back. Please only communicate through the dispute. Keep saying in the dispute (not in email) to, "please return laptop for a refund". You can contemplate about how to try to get the buyer to admit in the dispute that they've altered the laptop and refuse to return it. If you can successfully do that, then escalate for PayPal to step in. Keep in mind, the dispute has to be escalated within 20 days from date dispute opened for PayPal to step in. 

When buyer claims Significantly Not As Described, and PayPal rules in the buyer's favor, PayPal requires buyers to send item back in ten (10) days after ruling and provide tracking info with proof of delivery and then PayPal refunds. Buyer can't keep money and the item. If buyer doesn't follow through with the procedure, they can lose the dispute. But that does not mean the buyer won't file a credit card chargeback afterwards.

This buyer is something else!

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.