Paypal Non - Customer Service

Dasant1
Contributor
Contributor
I purchased a hockey jersey online with paypal credit for $58.00 and what understood to be free shipping. After paying for the item I was charged $99.00 for shipping! I immediately emailed the seller to cancel my order and refund my money and tried to contact paypal via phone, but they do not have 24 hour phone customer service and their virtual chat service is worthless! I was able to find out enough info to file an unauthorized charge case and hoped that would resolve my issue. This all happened about a week ago and then I received a recent email saying my case was denied and I am still on the hook for the payment. What can I do to resolve this situation given that paypal apparently cares more about the seller's interest than mine?
Login to Me Too
12 REPLIES 12

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @Dasant1,

I'm sorry to hear that there was any discrepancy between what you believed that you were paying and what the transaction was for. Was the $99 charged as a separate billing agreement payment, or was there a single payment that was $99 higher than expected?

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Dasant1
Contributor
Contributor
The shipping charge did not show up until I processed my payment. I called paypal customer service about a week ago and opened a dispute and still have not received my refund! I am very disappointed in paypal credit and learned a valuable lesson that I would like to share with others. Never use paypal credit thinking that you will get the same support and service that you get with most credit cards because you too will be very disappointed!!!
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Dasant1 

An unauthorised transaction means that your Paypal account was hacked and used without your consent.
If Paypal check IP addresses / devices etc and find that it was hacked then yes you should receive your refund.
However this was not the case as you did authorise the payment.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Dasant1
Contributor
Contributor
O.K. - understood - I pressed the payment button, but the $99.00 shipping charge was not part of that payment! The order screen only showed the cost of the $58.00 jersey and indicated free shipping! So the shipping charge was unauthorized! In addition, I have already asked for a refund from the merchant and he or she does nothing about it! So how am I supposed to get my money back if paypal credit does not chargeback the merchant? Any other credit card that I have would have protected my interests and have charged back the merchant by now! So my lesson so far is don't expect paypal credit to protect you! Therefore, from now on I will never use paypal to make a purchase from any website that is not well known and does not police itself because paypal has taught me that it does not protect its customers' interests!
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Dasant1 

Paypal buyer protection is not a 100% coverall, it gives you some protection for non receipt of item OR item received but not as described.

It does not cover 'bought an item but didn't know extra shipping would be added on'.

However if the seller is in the same country as you then nothing is stopping you persueing him for those costs if you have something like the small claims court in your country. OR you can wait till the item arrives and then file a dispute for 'item received but not as described' citing the extra costs and see if paypal find in your favour..............or you could have done if you had not jumped in to file a dispute for unauthorised useage of your account first.  Smiley Sad

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Dasant1
Contributor
Contributor
Now how am I supposed to know what country the seller from when paypal only shows is aname and not an address! So it's my responsibility to take him or her to small claims court like a scammer would be upstanding and use their real information!??? Now it's my fault because I filed an unauthorized transaction report for an unauthorized shipping charge - like it would have made a difference and made the pathetic customer service from paypal better!
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Dasant1 

Your welcome, glad I took the time out to try and help you.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Dasant1
Contributor
Contributor
I guess I should say thanks, but how can you fail to see the unfairness and inequity of my situation and "voluntarily" take paypal's side???? They have the power to resolve my issue and make it right, but choose not too!
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Dasant1 

Where did i take paypals side?

I stated paypals policy and your options, whether i agree with those policies or not is neither here nor there.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.