Paypal Conversion Scam with multiple currencies

10yearsfornothi
Contributor
Contributor
Spoiler
I had extremely frustating situation last night.

I received payment from US in germany (obviously i get it in EUR and paypal converted it automatically without my consent).
Obviously the conversion rate way below the USD rate.
Since the payment was wrong, i need to full refund but paypal won't let me.

0 cent spent from the payment i received and i must pay 65€ to cover to conversion currency back into USD, so i will be able to fully refund the payment.

Beware to ever activate only 1 wallet currency, paypal will scam you hard.
You received 0 money and you need to pay 65€ for refunding the sender.

Costumer service answer : it was all correct, we charge you for "automatic" conversion without your consent and we won't refund the amount back to the buyer before you add funds to convert it back.

Solution for the future : activate all wallet currency and never trust paypal, also they don't care if you must pay extra so you can refund your sender 🙂

I wonder how many shops are scammed accepting payment from other currency.
Sold nothing but pay conversion fee for full refund, that's how paypal do it.
I learn my lesson, never use paypal if not on the same currency/have all currencies wallet active.

Over 10 years being active using paypal and never been so dissapointed like last night and your costumer service helps me NOTHING ! please educate them better.
They can't even show me the configuration to stop auto-converting currency, since they explain me that you "accept" the conversion paypal offer.
I accepted nothing and it was converted all automatically, then they stop to blame me and tell me to accept the fee 🙂

Thanks paypal, from your another dissapointed longtime user.
Overall 0 point for costumer service, less knowledge than i am as usual user.
Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

AlexIk

I had exactly same situation today, except that NO currency conversion would be anticipated in a sane system (unlike Paypal): someone from the UK paid me (also in the UK) in GBP (GBP is obviously part of my wallet currency). Their payment got automatically converted to USD (which unluckily appears to also be an active currency in my wallet), which as anyone can guess, invoked rape off exchange rate in addition to transaction fees. I do not need USD, I need GBP, do I now have to do a reverse currency exchange USDGBP to allow Paypal profit again, just like that, out of the blue?

Hey, Paypal, why do not you just increase your transaction fees 2-3 times? Oh, and is it possible to show those fees upfront, as all payment platforms do, and not after the payment has gone through and irreversible? Sorry if I'm asking for too much...

Regards,

Alex

Login to Me Too

10yearsfornothi
Contributor
Contributor

did the payment converted automatically eventhough you activate your GBP wallet?

wow, i would sue paypal for that.

paypal blame me for not activating USD wallet and got payment from USD, so they convert it automatically.

but in your situation is purely scam with no exception, how could gbp payment converted while having gbp wallet active.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.