Payment to Facebook seller out of my bank but pending on their end and no item received yet

Daisys4Gin
New Community Member

Hello.  I paid for an item bought from FaceBook thru Paypal.  It has cleared my bank 4 days ago.  The seller found damage on the item and told me she was just going to cancel the transaction but since it was pending on her end, she had to wait.  It is still pending on her end but cleared my bank 4 days ago.  Now I am out the funds but she has not been paid those funds to return them.  And PayPal says it is a 'personal' transaction and not involved???? How do I get my money back? She doesn't have it and I don't.  Seems that Paypal has it somewhere held up.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Daisys4Gin 

Uh oh, "personal payment". Don't like the sound of that. Never use personal or friends and family payment type to pay for goods and services. There is no purchase protection, that's why PayPal washed their hands of this.

Did you send an eCheck/instant bank payment or pay with a bank debit card? eChecks are super slow. Instant Bank transfer is when PayPal fronts the money ahead to the recipient when you have a bank and card linked. The longest hold for review purposes should be up to 72 hours on personal payment, otherwise. Push comes to shove, you'll have to contact your financial institution for help, otherwise, that money is lost if the person doesn't issue refund. 

If you had sent a goods and services payment, the hold can be up to 21 days provided the seller fulfills the order and updates the order status with tracking if necessary but at least you can put in a dispute for Item Not Received so the seller can issue refund within the dispute, but alas this is a personal payment it couldn't be held that long unless it's the clearing of the payment is holding it up. Give it a couple more days before contacting the seller to follow up on a refund after that contact your bank to see if they would do a reversal.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.