Payment made to me from another country

BR14
Contributor
Contributor

Hi All

I know this might be a stupid question but I am new to PayPal. I am waiting for funds from USA. The person told me that they have made the payment though PayPal but I see there is a moving fee and according to this person, I must make the payment in order to release the money into my PayPal account.

Long story short...how can I verify that the payment has in fact been made by this person and it is not a hoax? The payment has been made yesterday according to the person and I do not see an e-mail contact to PayPal to verify that the transaction is pending somewhere.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@BR14 wrote:

Hi All

I know this might be a stupid question but I am new to PayPal. I am waiting for funds from USA. The person told me that they have made the payment though PayPal but I see there is a moving fee and according to this person, I must make the payment in order to release the money into my PayPal account.

Long story short...how can I verify that the payment has in fact been made by this person and it is not a hoax? The payment has been made yesterday according to the person and I do not see an e-mail contact to PayPal to verify that the transaction is pending somewhere.

Scam. If the payment was sent, you would see it in your PayPal Balance or PayPal Pending Balance by logging on to your PayPal account. And PayPal will send email confirmation that "You Got Money". If you see nothing, then sender did not pay and is bluffing you. There is no "moving fee" to release your funds. If PayPal puts the 21 day hold on your funds, you will still see the amount in the balance area marked as pending on the summary page and there is a transaction for the payment listed in the recent activity section.

Always log on to your PayPal account to double check if the funds are there first.  

It seems to me that the scam is to make you pay this "Moving fee" but after you do, the scammer will disappear and you will log on to your account and you will not see a payment. They are just lying. This is not how PayPal works. When you receive funds, it will show in your PayPal account and a PayPal fee will be deducted and the amount is stored in your PayPal Balance. If PayPal needs to withhold your funds, you log on and it will tell you if there is a hold.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@BR14 wrote:

Hi All

Scam. If the payment was sent, you would see it in your PayPal Balance or PayPal Pending Balance by logging on to your PayPal account. And PayPal will send email confirmation that "You Got Money". If you see nothing, then sender did not pay and is bluffing you. There is no "moving fee" to release your funds. If PayPal puts the 21 day hold on your funds, you will still see the amount in the balance area marked as pending on the summary page and there is a transaction for the payment listed in the recent activity section.

Always log on to your PayPal account to double check if the funds are there first.  

It seems to me that the scam is to make you pay this "Moving fee" but after you do, the scammer will disappear and you will log on to your account and you will not see a payment. They are just lying. This is not how PayPal works. When you receive funds, it will show in your PayPal account and a PayPal fee will be deducted and the amount is stored in your PayPal Balance. If PayPal needs to withhold your funds, you log on and it will tell you if there is a hold.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.