Payment declined through eBay but money taken from Bank account

panzermeister74
Contributor
Contributor

Last Friday night I made a purchase on eBay and when I went to pay "Payment has been declined, please pick another payment type" happend. Figured it was a fluke, so I tried making a payment on Steam with buying a cheap game, "Payment declined" again. I contacted my debit card's Fraud Dept and discovered they had put a block on my card to guard against possible fraudulent charges through PayPal and eBay. Gave the usual info; Last four of my social, birthdate and 16 digit card number to verify that I'm the card holder, that's using the debit card. No big deal. They had me run the same purchase again to make sure the card was unlocked to be sure before hanging up, everything worked fine. All was well, or so I thought...20 minutes later I checked my bank's online account because I always have a habit doing so after certain purchases and when I thought things couldn't get any worse that night, I discover the exact same amount taken out of my bank account twice. The purchase that went through, and the purchase that was declined. If payment is declined, why did they take payment anyway? This has caused me a huge inconvenience because I need that money they took and it was taken last Friday and it's now Friday again this week and it's still not back in my account. This is frustrating and they should not have taken or put a hold on my money if they decline the debit card. I have contacted the seller to make certain he didn't send two of the same item, and he didn't. He only recieved payment for one order. I've done business with this particular retailer before so I know he's honest. What gives PayPal? Before I take further steps with my bank.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@panzermeister74 

If you authorised a payment and when paypal went to take it from the card the card company declined it then of course they would try again and by this time your card must have been unblocked so the payment went through ok.

All paypal were doing was carrying out your wishes and it wasn't their fault your card was blocked and then unblocked again.

Are there x2 transactions in your paypal account or just the one?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.