PayPay buyer protection sucks!

cmaurizio
Contributor
Contributor

I was scammed by one of PayPal's clients in China.  I paid for a unique item that was advertised, paid $40.  Their client sent me a $2 piece of plastic.  Now PayPal is siding with their client, forcing me to pay postage to send the item back to China from the US.  That's going to cost me more than I paid!  So this is how PayPal treats people using their service.

Login to Me Too
19 REPLIES 19

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@cmaurizio

Well they treat them exactly as they say they will in their user agreement.

Your best bet was to read have up on paypal buyer protection before you start buying so you know what is and what is not offered.

In the event of a dispute you nearly always have to return the item back to the seller so you bear in mind possible return trackable costs before you buy from that seller / item / country.

Paypal state this >>
PayPal is not obliged to reimburse you for any costs that you incur to comply with any of PayPal’s requests for cooperation for the purpose of resolving the problem (including, without limitation, costs that you incur to return a SNAD item to the Payment Recipient or another party as PayPal requests), although sometimes it may reimburse these costs.

Although they will compensate you for some of the cost if you have activated this at some point before you made that transaction .....
https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/what-is-return-shipping-on-us-and-how-do-i-activate-it-fa...

You also have the option to do a chargeback via your card issuer instead of a Paypal dispute if you funded your Paypal payment via a credit card.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

cmaurizio
Contributor
Contributor

I did not use a credit card, I used PayPal credit.  However, I will no longer be using that in the future.  So for $40 they lost a good customer.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@cmaurizio

I love it when folks blame Paypal for their own mistakes because they haven't bothered to read up on Paypal buyer protection and don't take responsibility for buying tat items from China  Smiley Wink

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

leonkatz
New Community Member

Your right after having gone through this, I now know the paypal policy and how they really don't protect their buyers at all. So I will just no longer use paypal to purchase anything else in the future. If enough people do this, they will either have to do more for their buyers or go out of business.

Login to Me Too

BirchCooper
Contributor
Contributor
Exactly. I’m going on PayPal strike. There are so many ways to pay now forget PayPal and let’s all go with the one or ones that protect the purchaser most. The spenders. The ones who are putting money into the transaction. Oh and having real and reliable customer service won’t hurt either. PayPal has neither. They will wither and die with these China partnerships when they could have stayed on top all along.
Login to Me Too

BirchCooper
Contributor
Contributor
Do you? Do you love it? What I don’t love is a company that used to offer legendary buyer protection begin to offer below average buyer protection and zero customer service. The clowns that spend their time doing PayPal’s bidding for free are beyond comprehension. What I love is a multi billion dollar company enlisting fool hearted hobbyists (whose answers they to not stand behind) instead of employing workers to actually do the job and to it right.
Login to Me Too

cmaurizio
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah, try again PayPal employee trying to blame me.  When I use a service and one of THEIR customers pulls a scam, I expect them to stand up to the person in the wrong.  If I sold something in eBay and scammed someone, would PayPal side with me?  Hey **bleep**, I have this bridge I'll sell you for a mere $5,000.. interested? I only accept PayPal for payment!

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@cmaurizio

Paypal employee  Smiley Very Happy

I can see why you had problems understanding how buyer protection works as you can't even fathom what this forum is...   Smiley Wink

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

ldgaller

I had the same issue ordered something from a chinese company , unbeknownst to me at the time, I received the item which was clearly not as described and did not even work. The merchant gave me the run around for weeks refusing to give me the return instructions and insisted i send them video of the product not functioning (total stupidity) which I did and still no refund. I took it to paypal and after six weeks of "investigation" by their crack team of of investigators they determined that not only was the product as described but apparently it worked perfectly.  PAYPAL BUYER PROTECTION NOT ONLY SUCKS BUT IS NON EXISTENT!!! Another customer lost over $50.00 bucks... Not a good model for sustainability.

ldgaller

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.