PayPal wants a copy of SSN for proof of ID.

bowace
Contributor
Contributor

PayPal is wanting to do a security check on my account.  I am confused as to why since I have been on paypal for over 14 years.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@bowace 

Due to federal anti-money laundering and counter-terrorism/funding regulations, PayPal is required to collect this info, including the IRS for tax reporting purposes if you ever meet the thresholds. If you had provided the number all along in your account, you may not have had to provide an upload of it, if it could be matched up with the national database. PayPal needs to know that you own this account and the info is factual. If you do not want to provide this information, you may want to consider closing your account in that case. The days of being anonymous on PayPal is over. Real world laws are moving in.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@bowace 

Due to federal anti-money laundering and counter-terrorism/funding regulations, PayPal is required to collect this info, including the IRS for tax reporting purposes if you ever meet the thresholds. If you had provided the number all along in your account, you may not have had to provide an upload of it, if it could be matched up with the national database. PayPal needs to know that you own this account and the info is factual. If you do not want to provide this information, you may want to consider closing your account in that case. The days of being anonymous on PayPal is over. Real world laws are moving in.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

ScopingYouOut
Contributor
Contributor

PayPal is wanting all your ID to make sure YOU pay them . If you dont they will place a debt on your credit report using your SSN.

DONT give this SSN to them...

Federal law states the SSN is NOT a legal form of Identification.

Whoever says it is, is lying or just dumb..

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.