PayPal unhelpful with fraudulent transactions - have others had this experience?

barryrbisson
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, recently I had 4 fraudulent transactions, payments made in my account by person or persons unknown to me.   3 of the 4 were large payments to people not in my Contacts and whom I don't know, the 4th was a DoorDash transaction to a person/location unknown to me.    The short summary is that PayPal addressed the 4th (small) fraudulent charge, but refuses to address the 3 (large) payments, totaling over $1500.   These 4 transactions all occurred on a weekend when I did not have my computer (a Mac, with good virus protection).  When I discovered the 4 transactions, the 4th one was still pending.  I immediately changed my password and this fraudulent activity stopped.   (Also enabled 2FA).

My question is:  has anyone else had a problem with PayPal refusing to honor the fraudulent transaction protection in our User Agreement? 

They are saying (somehow) that the 3 large payments were "not unauthorized", while the 4th small one they agree was unauthorized.

I have submitted a complaint with IC3 and my credit card company (who has acknowledged the fraud, for the transactions that drew from my card).

I plan to take PayPal to small claims court.   Has anyone done this?

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.