PayPal suspended my account for no reason

Bob_Holobinko
Contributor
Contributor

I received an email starting I violated PayPal’s terms and they are suspending my account. When I called them they couldn’t tell me anything. I’ve had my account for 15 years and when I read the terms of violations I have NOT committed any of them.

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Bob_Holobinko 

Paypal don't give reasons but unfortunately they also don't ban you for no reason. What would be the point? They make money whilst you are using a paypal account so to ban you means you won't do that anymore.

Can be for something simple like too many disputes / accepting friends/family payments for sales or anything similar.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Bob_Holobinko
Contributor
Contributor
But I didn’t have any disputes at all. The only recent thing i started doing well selling items on eBay vs only purchasing and since i had low seller transactions eBay have me notice they are holding the funds until the buyer receives the sold items. That was it. People sell and receive money with PayPal all the time. That’s literally the only thing that was recently different. It’s insane they cannot even tell me what I did. Which I’m confident I didn’t do anything wrong or shady.
Login to Me Too

Rossb907
Contributor
Contributor

"Paypal don't give reasons but unfortunately they also don't ban you for no reason."

Apparently they do, since I've the same issue as the OP. A long-term account with zero issues suddenly suspended. I also note I did NOT get an email, which makes me wonder if it's a system error. Unfortunately trying to contact anyone to resolve it appears near-impossible. 

Also, since they don't give reasons, how would you know?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Rossb907 

If its a permanent ban then normally you do receive an email AND it shows when you try to log into your paypal account as you only get the message to say you have been banned.

If you haven't received anything then why do you think you have been banned?

Also what use would it be knowing 'why' if you can't do anything about it.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Rossb907
Contributor
Contributor
Because I had a transaction and the buyer couldn’t pay, so I started trying to find out why. Took me a couple of days to tumble to it because I had no clue that was even a possibility. Initially I assumed it was a problem on their end. I’ve searched my Gmail for every PayPal email I’ve ever received and as of a month ago all was well. Now it’s not and no email to that end. I’ve had this account for several years, sold maybe 10-15 items total, bought 50-60 and have not the foggiest clue what the problem could have been. I can still log in and I also have a paypal credit account and a paypal Mastercard. The Mastercard still works, but no other paypal services. I guess it’s human nature to want to know why.
Login to Me Too

RichC4
Contributor
Contributor

Well I want to know why because they may have incorrect information about me. Maybe someone hacked my account. I’ve used them for 10 years and had one dispute 5 years ago. 

Login to Me Too

Mike55116
Yeah, this happened to me too... Insane
Login to Me Too

Edwinbremmer
This just happened to me. I literally did nothing wrong or shady. I was trying to transfer money to my bank account, which is a normal allowed thing to do on Paypal, when suddenly just as I'm making the transfer they throw a limitation on! Preventing me from getting the money to my bank account. Saying it's identity theft. **bleep** is more like it. So I followed the steps to lift the limitation and continue the money transfer to MY bank account AND they still did not lift the limitation. Now I have to wait up to five days to even hear anything back apparently. I don't have any other money for food or water. I don't have anyone to help me with money. And now I can't even get my own money for at least five days? They're doing me very dirty right now, and it seems just so they can have a nice laugh or something? Or it's a faulty automatic system that desperately needs fixing!
Login to Me Too

TpInkham30344
Contributor
Contributor
This has just happened to me as well, albeit the steps taken are a bit different than others reporting their experiences here. I did receive an email stating I was under review and that my account was restricted during the process. I've never had any disputes, at least none that I have ever been made aware of. I too have been using PayPal for over a decade. On my own, I discovered the resolution center and there were 2 questions that I promptly answered; what do I sell and via what method. I'm am new to selling on eBay although have been a buyer for much longer. The bulk of my actively as of late has been using PayPal to pay for my ebay shipping labels. I also read, line for line, the users agreement and rules of engagement and I have not violated anything stated here. When I answered the resolution center's questions, I asked customer service what activity triggered the review and to clarify the time frame it would take to resolve my suspension, etc. The response was that they would place my review on a fast track. To fire me as a customer, quicker! Must they tell me? Perhaps not. Best Practices for company communications with their customers begs to differ. You go to work Monday morning and are handed a pink slip, no reason given, ignored request for reasons and/or a courteous explanation as to why and nothing. This business conduct is very legal in "hire at will" states, but is it ethical business behavior? As a customer, I should be afforded a response, even if for nothing more than a common courtesy. If I **bleep** up somehow, tell me. We are, (most of us anyways), human after all! If we're to learn from out mistakes, how about sharing what the perceived mistake is? In my working career, I never treated my 36 employees with this kind of disrespect and am in awe that a major company like PayPal, subscribes to such inappropriate, corporate behavior.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.