PayPal's Buyer Protection is a joke

expredator
Contributor
Contributor

So I booked a room in this hotel in Granada, Spain through booking.com for 1 night but a few days later decided to book another night. Both rooms were for me, my wife and our 1.5 year old son. We came from Sevilla by bus, however, when we arrived at this hoterl, nobody was there at the reception. Looking up the hotel's webpage on booking.com and reading the reviews, it looked like one has to call the owner of the hotel for instructions on how to get the key to the room, which I then did. However, many calls over an hour remained unanswered and so because I was not able to reach anybody, I went ahead and booked a different hotel. Again, there was nobody at the reception when we arrived and we could not reach anybody over the phone. This is in accordance with other people's experience at this hotel. See here for yourself: https://www.booking.com/hotel/es/hostal-azahar-granada.en-gb.html#tab-main

Now, I don't see why we should wait more than an hour to wait for somebody to call us back so we can check into our room. We paid 58EUR for these 2 nights and tried to check in during normal check in hours. I think the hotel has an obligation to be available during their check in hours. We were exhausted from our trip and wanted to finally relax. I reached out to booking.com about this problem and the only thing that came out was that they contacted the hotel. Here is what booking.com told me: "They informed us that they did have rooms available up until the close of check in at 21.00 on 29th May and as we didn't have contact from you until after your scheduled stay we are unfortunately unable to dispute this." I do not challenge that they had rooms available that night. My problem is that we were not able to check in because there was nobody at the hotel. So I escalated this problem on Paypal but they turned out to be total morons.

They decided in the seller's favor with this explanation: "Your seller has provided shipment tracking information in response to your claim. We used the shipping company's online tracking service and found that it confirms delivery of the merchandise. As a result, this case has been closed." Are you kidding me? At no point did I say anything about merchandise. How did you get a tracking number for a hotel booking? This is ridiculous on so many levels. I just started an appeal because I want my money back. And I will. With or without you Paypal.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

Bakemoon
Contributor
Contributor

I also found out the hard way that you are right. Lost $150. I relied on Paypal backing me up, when I showed them, that the services promised were mathematically (!) misrepresented in the first place. Also, the supplierhad supplied less than 1/3 of the services, and I asked for them to terminate the service and refund me 1/2 of what I paid, letting the company keep half.  I don't think they even bothered to read or check the maths as the response I got was "claim denied". No reason was given, no evidence was asked for... and incidentally the offending site still keeps advertising wrong figures and are cheating other users, being enabled by service providers whose buyer protection is not worth the toilet paper it is printed on.

Login to Me Too

Laurenzooz
Contributor
Contributor

I am having similar issues. I purchased items that were faulty and not as described. I returned the items three months ago. Paypal denied the claim. The reason was that I didn't send proof of shipping. This is not true, I sent them the receipt of the shipment and the tracking code. 

I also sent them an atachement of an email where the courier told me that the seller did not pick up the item from post office. Paypal first ignored this attachment and closed the case. I sent the attachement again and they reopened the case for few days and then closed it again. The excuse this time was that I didn't provide the information they asked. 

Like seriously? I provided all the information like three months ago. 

I thought Paypal was safe to use because of the buyer protection. However, the "buyer protection" is just a joke, they keep ignoring the attachements I send, and they have not gave me a clear and good answer when I asked what should I have done differently to get my refund.

There is no point to use paypal since the buyer protection is clearly not working. I have read a lot of similar posts in this forum and I am amazed how can this happen to so many people. Paypal should really do something about their "buyer protection" and customer service.

Login to Me Too

Nicksimington
New Community Member

Sadly just found out about this as well. 

Ordered a product and didn't realize it was a Chinese knockoff company.

The product I received was NOTHING like what I ordered and didn't work. I just wanted to return It for a refund, the company refused. I opened a dispute, provided pictures of the product online compared to what I received. It was a simple case.

Paypal denied it with no explanation.

Paypal is advertising a fake protection plan for a false sense of security. Resolution center is a joke.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.