PayPal protects Scammers not Customers who purchase in good faith

BuyerBeware77
New Community Member

Back in December I purchased a cutting board for +_ $80 for a gift to give my wife.  Three weeks after making the purchase and several attempts to contact the seller on the items location (said 7-10 day for delivery)  I received a tracking number.  That tracking number started what I can only describe as a wild goose chaise.  This shipment took an additional 3 weeks to arrive at our home and went coast to cost stopping about 10 times en route.  The day came and an item arrived in a very small shipping envelope.  It was a 28x18cm bamboo board with an estimated value of $3.00.  We immediately contacted paypal and was told that because the shipper provided a shipping number we were going to be charged the $79.80. We even sent pictures of what was ordered and what they sent.  We spoke to customer service at least 4 times each time the rep. "took notes, seemed responsive and in our favor, and indicated they would follow up"  each time we went into our Paypal account and found the claim was closed and they were in favor of the seller.  On the last call they indicated they would refund if we returned the item.  As indicated by others, because the seller is in China it would cost too much to ship (more than the item was worth) and we were NOT spending another dime on this transaction.  If the seller provided a pre-paid label we would gladly send the item back.  Surprise, there was no response from the seller.  My only guess is that the scammers closed shop.  By this time, we had lost the ability to file a claim with our bank because PayPal asks you to jump through so many hoops and their reps make it feel like you are getting someplace.  To date we have no refund, no return label, no item that was purchased and we are out $79.80.  PayPal must take some responsibility in allowing these vendors to use their service.  We, as customers have not recourse other than to file a claim with the Attorney General.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

hesterEngland
Contributor
Contributor

On April 27th I made the mistake of ordering merchandise from a company I was sure it would be was alright since I was using Paypal.  However, this was not the case to this date I have not received my merchandise and Paypal sided with the seller giving the lame excuse of a tracking number that was issued. I would like to inform everyone, beware of this practice. It is true that Paypal does not protect the customers I have learned this from experience. I do not think it is right nor is it fair for the customers. 

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Tricia

Hi @hesterEngland

I'm sorry to hear of the trouble with this transaction. It sounds like the merchant provided tracking information that confirmed the item was delivered. I recommend reaching out to the shipper to request details of the delivery. This will help locate the package, or work towards appealing the claim decision. 

I hope this information helps!

Thanks, 
PayPal_Tricia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.