PayPal processed payment for a fraudulent company, could I get a refund?

Moneypenny312
Contributor
Contributor
I made a purchase through Instagram from a company that is fraudulent. I paid with a debit card but they processed the payment through PayPal. I'm going in circles with PayPal regarding a refund, can they even refund a transaction like that? The seller can't be reached and payment processed by PayPal is the only record of the transaction that I have.
Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Michelle

Hi @Moneypenny312,

Oh no! Thank you so much for reporting that this occurred. It sounds as though you may have made the payment as what we consider a "guest checkout" which means that you will need to contact our customer support directly so they can manually open a claim on the transaction for you unless you've already filed a chargeback through your bank. If so, we'll be happy to work with your bank to resolve this. If you would like to open a dispute through us instead, please follow the Help & Contact link at the bottom of the page, or you can also reach us on Facebook or at @AskPayPal on Twitter.  

I hope this helps and thank you for joining the Community!

Michelle 

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.