PayPal policy is unfair and bias against sellers

Simento
Contributor
Contributor
A buyer bought a new Bang & Olufsen E8 2.0 earphone, claimed that it was not charging, was given an option to return for a full refund but decided to keep it, buyer asked for a discount which was declined. After 7days buyer admitted that there was nothing wrong with the charging but claimed it was not pairing. Buyer filed a dispute directly with PayPal that the item is not as described and PayPal as usual, sided with the buyer without going through any due diligence and a refund was initiated. The buyer returned the earphones with the seal broken, opened and used earbuds and earwax stains on the charging pod. On receiving the item, found out that the buyer claims were all false. Item works fine, was able to charge and pair the earphone. Now I am left with a DEVALUED item. I called PayPal to let them know the state of the returned item and to let them know that the buyers claims were all false. PayPal were completely unhelpful as they have already sided with the buyer and initiated a refund. What I found frustrating is the ease and the platform that will allow for this kind of abuse to happen. Also, obviously there is a gap in that a buyer can just go directly to PayPal and file a dispute and be refunded without PayPal being privy to details of the transaction and correspondence on eBay. PayPal policy and resolution process are grossly bias against sellers and are not fit for purpose. Paypal need to realise that they are in business because of sellers patronage!
Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Simento 

Paypal does not see the item you sent OR what the buyer says that they received.

They make a judgement call, the buyer has to return the item at their own expense before they get a refund.

Seller protection does NOT cover 'item received but not as described' it covers non reciept OR unauthorised / chargebacks.

If you are selling online then yes you are going to get the odd transaction going wrong, you have to expect that.

Fairness doesn't come into it, sometimes the buyer loses out and sometimes the seller.

You think you are the only one to have transactions that were 'unfair' or 'go awry'??

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Simento
Contributor
Contributor
Again, your opinion! No one should loose out on any transaction if it could have been avoided. Yes understand that items get lost in post, happens all the time and the post office will be held culpable if it can be proven that that was the case. A buyer is allowed to return an item if it is not fit for purpose, has a defect or just through a change of mind provided the item was in the exact state as received and within a reasonable timeframe. I would have thought that this is provided for under the sales of goods act especially when it comes to distance/online transactions. If a buyer indeed do claim that that an item is faulty, the very least I expect from PayPal is to request an independent proof that this was actually the case!
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Simento 

Yep my opinion which again you question my right to have, whilst you are entitled to yours, thought 'fairness' is your constant refrain   😉

Again in an ideal world no one would ever lose out buyer or seller but unfortunately this is not an ideal world..........I guess its unfair when shops get shoplifters but unfortunately not a lot we can do about them either, it happens and whilst shops do all they can to mitigate it they know it will still happen....again not 'fair' but it happens.

Do you really expect paypal to get involved 'in depth' asking for expert opinions on £2 sales etc? Because if they do that for your sale they would have to do it for everyone, and exactly who would the 'independent' person be? How does paypal know that you are telling the truth in what you sent OR the buyer is telling the truth on what they say they received and returned?

Paypal gives you 'some' seller protection, it does not SEE the item that you say you sold OR what the buyer returned so they make a judgement call.

Sometimes you lose out and sometimes the buyer.

If you have sufficient proof against the buyer then by all means go down the small claims court route. No one is saying that you don't have 'legal' rights against the buyer, that is why they have a small claims court in this country which you still have the right to use.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Simento
Contributor
Contributor
Fairness in this case, has nothing to do with the monetary value. It is irrelevant whether an item cost £1p or £1m! Also, I do not think that the phrase “Some you win and some you lose” particularly sit well more so for a reputable company that wants to have a robust policy and attract new customers, What will be interesting to know though is the percentage of unfavourable decisions made against the sellers compare to buyers! I bet it is heavily skewed against sellers! I guess we will have to agree to differ on this occasion, that said, the only thing I agree in your post thus far is the fact that UK has a small claim court and the sale of goods act that deals with this kind of dispute which I am already exploring as PayPal failed in their due diligence duty! This is purely on principle!
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Simento 

They do have a robust policy which clearly states that you do NOT have a 100% insurance policy with them and that they only provide a certain limit of seller protection.

Again the onus is on you to risk assess your transactions.

If you are selling then you have to accept that sales will go wrong occasionally and live with it.

Maybe you ought to exert some due diligance in reading up on seller protection?

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Simento
Contributor
Contributor
Would I be wrong if I assume that you are a mouthpiece for PayPal as it starting to seem that way. I only wish that PayPal exert as much energy in their due diligence as you do trying to counter anyone that goes against PayPal resolution policy! Ok go ahead, have the last word and by the way I am not a trade seller on eBay!
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Simento 

You only like one way discussions then do you?

Along with one way opinions as well i guess, which of course would be yours only?

And anyone that differs from that opinion must 'speak' or 'work' for Paypal presumably.

How very original.

I would NEVER be a mouthpiece for Paypal there are many things that I don't agree with.

But in this case no. As a seller I have had several items returned to me that were 'unfair' from buyers. I refunded and moved on.

I tend to take the view that as I still make money using Paypal then I equally accept a few of those transactions will go wrong.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Poorsellerrrr
Contributor
Contributor
Sameeee but with clothing 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.