PayPal policy encourages fraud

ILoveKona
Contributor
Contributor

I purchased an antenna product advertised on facebook and used PayPal to pay for it. The seller listed a California address. I received the product that was shipped from California. It was a useless fake item. I went to the resolution center for help. Eventually PayPal responded indicating I could return the item but had to send it using a service that would track the package and require proof of delivery to the address listed in their data field. The address WAS IN CHINA! There is no way to send the product back to China that doesn't cost less than what I paid for the item itself. There is also no way to inform PayPal of this problem because of how their system is set up. So in effect PayPal is complicit in allowing this scam to continue. They profit from working with these false companies and do not have a way for PayPal customers to report this problem. I hope they read this and contact me because it is due to their system and policies that I cannot get my scam purchase reversed. Has this happened to you? If so please respond.

Login to Me Too
34 REPLIES 34

DLSigler
Contributor
Contributor

I believe you are missing the point of this thread. I don't believe anyone here expects to get their money back. What is being expressed is how PayPal continues to be complicit with scam seller schemes.

We as victims are clearly a factor in the success of these schemes and are accepting responsibility through the realization that we've been duped by seasoned professional scam artists.  But we also realize that the supporting agent for the success of these schemes is PayPal.

The best way to stop this activity is to make sure the American consumer is completely aware of these activities and how they are being perpetrated. 

Buyer Beware is the appropriate response...and this forum thread includes being aware of how PayPal is supporting fraudulent behavior from unscrupulous sellers.

Login to Me Too

paula_perez
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah, I had the same issue in December last year but I didn't really send the product back to China. They have a return address in Pacoima, CA where I sent the products back. There was a little wait but I eventually got refunded. I am not sure though if there is any updated process. I suggest you go to their website and look for their customer support email so you can ask where to send the product back for a refund. Hope it will be the same instance as mine. Good luck!

Login to Me Too

Me2_scammed
Contributor
Contributor
My Paypal instructions specify that I have to send it back to them in China, before March 14th, to get a refund WITH TRACKING!!! This is so ridiculous and laughable. Oh, ok. I will pay $100 to get back $30. Oh wait!! There isn't enough time to make it to China in the allotted time. I have learned a valuable lesson and will scream from the mountain tops to save even one person the headache.
Login to Me Too

dtd96int
Contributor
Contributor
I bought a unicorn island. I received a small cheap wine flask. Now I can’t get a refund as I’d have to ship it to China. Second time I’m having a problem. First one, I bought some bikinis, all came and bad quality. I was asked to send them back. I did, but they got held up in customs in China and seller refused to contact Fed Ex to solve the issue. So I’m out of pocket for shipping the returns and my money I paid for the items in the first place. Beachsissi is the company.
Login to Me Too

hyparker13

The email provided by many of these Chinese companies is bogus. You can't email them.

Login to Me Too

paula_perez
Contributor
Contributor

I had a transaction with the company about 2 months ago, the company seems legit for me because I have also some concerns with the product I have ordered with them. What I did was contact them through their customer service hotline provided in their website.
Just be patient because they have lot of calls due to large number of orders. Their customer rep is accommodating and helpful.

Hope all is well with yours.

Login to Me Too

hajs
New Community Member

Dealing with this right now. It is infuriating! Ordered name brand boots and got fake cheap knockoffs instead. Same BS back and forth and finally filed with PayPal. I even sent the seller a message saying that I would pay their quoted $6.99 shipping fee to return but they won't send me a prepaid return label. PayPal has done nothing but bolster and support this fraud company.

Login to Me Too

Tutorial98
Contributor
Contributor
Same problem. I can't believe that they encourage this. I think they are afraid to anger China or something like that because they've helped me out with other sellers without me having to send anything back. It's unbelievable!
Login to Me Too

shraim
Contributor
Contributor

same case here.. PayPal DOES NOT  help us (buyers) , they are allowing these scammers to hunt millions of Americans and they DO NOTHING ..

I bought a product from Facebook as its a local product and paid through PayPal. they sent me "garbage" and when I tried to dispute it; the seller provided a Chinese address and now I'm stuck.  I had to file custom forms and spend all the time at the post office to return it. PayPal said (we need to wait until it gets delivered to this "fake" address then we attempt to refund you) .. .WHAT.!!!! 

I will never you paypal again.   THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT US, THEY JUST WANNA MAKE THE PROFIT FROM THESE TRANSACTIONS.

Login to Me Too

Giovanni527
New Community Member
Same here bought a 59.99 item that cost 73 to send back. And the item was nothing like the description. PayPal is part of the scam they do nothing
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.