PayPal now supports fraudulent sellers?

DamianW
Contributor
Contributor
I made a purchase from an online seller located in China on June 2, 2020. I received an email the next day from Paypal saying that the seller updated the USPS shipping info and provided a tracking number. But the tracking information provided is literally impossible and obviously fraudulent. It shows the item as delivered May 28, 2020, days before the purchase was even made! I dont know how a scammer can get fake USPS tracking info, but I made a case on the Resolution Center and provided this tracking number only for PayPal to close my case with no information or reason provided! Did your representatives even read the claim or look into the issue whatsoever? I have also heard many other complaints from other buyers reporting this same problem with fraudulent sellers and PayPal. I want my case to be appealed and re-opened and for someone competent to actually help with this issue. Because if not, it seems that PayPal is complacent and perhaps even aiding in fraudulent and illegal online sales and I will be taking news of this huge issue to the Better Business Bureau as well as higher authorities.
Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@DamianW 

Its the system. Its automated and checks for delivery status and may be the city, state, zip, country because even that slips through the cracks and that's it. The seller wins. You have to appeal the case providing a USPS intranet report (go to your local PO to get a copy). Saw another post last night who posted a scan of the intranet report, postmark stamped and dated signed by the PO manager with a note indicating customer was scammed. File a police or ic3.gov report, pdf everything and get in contact with PayPal customer service. Note, response may take longer due to limited staff from Covid-19 safety precautions. Or you can dispute through your card issuer instead as per section "Dispute with us or your card issuer":

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full?locale.x=en_US#purchase-protection

To message PayPal:

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/home

Click MESSAGE CENTER or click LOG IN to access your message center or for live chat where available.

Or try Social media:

Facebook (US): https://www.facebook.com/paypal

Twitter (US): @AskPayPal 

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Anton74
New Community Member

I purchased an item from China. Immediately the seller emailed me to not raise a dispute as the package will be sent and tracking information provided. 

This raised concern so i contacted PayPal via the dispute process. I could not call directly as the call centres are closed for Covid.

This is a concern in its self, not being able to raise an issue immediately with PayPal considering they hold all our personal and credit card information.

After a few days the seller provided a tracking number to myself and PayPal and advised the item as sent. After 2 months of emails and the PayPal resolution process taking so long and being faulty PayPal emailed me advising the case has been closed and no refund is available.

Get this!! The package has been delivered to an unknown address miles from where i actually live. PayPal know my address and can see in the tracking information that it has not been delivered to my address but they have still decided to close the case. It shows they have not looked into this case with any diligence what so ever and scumbags have found a way to take advantage of PayPals obvious holes in there system.

The cost of my item was fairly high!! The seller could have sent a 50c toy in a parcel at little cost to a random address in the state i live in then gaining and providing tracking information that meets PayPals requirements but is obviously fraudulent. PayPal need to look into these claims seriously to stop this activity immediately as it undermines the service they provide.

I have now raised this issue with my Bank directly. I have the email trail from myself to the seller and PayPal through out this **bleep** fight. I have the tracking information clearly showing that it has not been delivered to my address and the fact that payPal have no process in place at present to raise my issue to the next level.

Hopefully all going well the Bank credit me directly from PayPal and they have to foot the bill. If this happens it may give them the wake up call they need!!!

Login to Me Too

AngelP1
New Community Member

I have similar experience now with 2 sellers - Shenzhen Jiangongshan Network Technology Co., Ltd. - and xixiya. Both are spams and/or fraud. 
I received the "wig" by the first seller, but it is not even close to what I ordered, and PayPal refused to compensate or charge the seller. Unfortunately I have found PayPal comments about this seller, after the purchase, hence was consistently bothering PayPal for the compensation but was rejected. The latter seller was assuming me that the goods are in transit, but it has been now more than 2 months and I still have not received anything. Hence, it is clearly a fraud.  

As PayPal community seems to be regularly complaining about the abuse via PayPal, and the latter doesn't seem to take actions to (i) prevent working with the same companies and blocking transfer of funds to their accounts (which should be the case even after one complaint, not mentioning numerous complaints), and (ii) doesn't seem to have efficient customer dispute resolution framework, I think we should all complain to US Consumer Protection Agency for violation of customers' rights and abuse. PayPal as a payment system/agent is responsible for consumer protection and prevention of fraud similar to other institutions in the USA. It should have proper Internal Dispute Resolution System (IDR) and effectively resolve customer complaints.  

Please advise whether anyone has already taken legal action against PayPal - perhaps if there are multiple complaints like this, there is a need for court decision to stop PayPal from intermediating fraudulent transactions and ensure that all the customers - victims of such transactions - get proper compensation from PayPal or its partners on the other side (similar to Visa or Mastercard). 

Login to Me Too

jjlegg23
Contributor
Contributor

jjlegg22:

Transaction ID: PP-D-70534152 Amount: $ 38.98 Date: JUN 09, 2020

seller xixiya  

?this dispute was not resolved i am not getting any cooperation from the buyer for a refund. I bought an item that would be worth $50 dollars regular price. the item I recived wa not anything described that i was suppose to recieve. i recived a small toy plasic only figure and it was suppose to be a life size little doll that was animatonic and everything. it took over 2 months to get here from china and to send it back is a big waste of my time and money especially when the item I recived was incorrect and did not inlude any and all what was explained to me or shown a picture of what I originally was ordering. They first told me if I could keep it and try selling it to someone else....What??? then they wanted to give me a refund of 6 dollars and be fine with that....?? Um no I want a full refund. they keep trying to blow me off andnot follow through with a full refund. I would like some =one to internally look at this company that you have that is dealing business with you I feel they are very misleading and fraudulent becuse of what they sent me. I would liuke to compare it to an example of buying a remote control car that has many moving parts similar to the moving parts on my animatronic doll i didnt recieve. Son instead of the remote control car you recive a plastic toy car... Is that right? Is in Fair business parctices?? I would Say not a chance it would be. I would like to request directly my money from Paypal and then you get the money from the seller if thats possible. There should be pictures that I originally attached to this dispute that now shows closed.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.