PayPal not protecting your money

De457
New Community Member
Anyone else buy something online thinking you were protected going through PayPal just to find out they do absolutely nothing even if you open a dispute?
Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@De457 

Paypal would not be able to check every individual seller / merchant / company in over 200 countries worldwide that adds paypal to their website to accept payments.

So they give you 'some' buyer protection but the onus is on you to risk assess your transactions.

They do stop bad companies from using Paypal when enough claims start rolling in.
However as they are in China (mostly) then its easy for them to just start over with a new name, so stopping them does not really do anything.

If you say which dispute you opened and what happened we may be able to advise?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Osabirca
Contributor
Contributor

You think you are protected, but you aren't.   I opened a case.   Seller did not respond.   I received an email saying it would auto close on a certain date.   I made the mistake of thinking that if the seller hadn't even responded, the case would be settled in my favor.   NOPE!   Seller ignored it, but he won.   I didn't think I would need to escalate it, if the seller hadn't even responded.

TERRIBLE Customer "Service".   "I'm sorry you feel that way."   "I understand."    Great that you are sorry and understand, but someone has my money for nothing.   I don't want your understanding... I want my money back!

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Osabirca 

Firstly paypal sends you an email when you open a dispute reminding you that you need to escalate to a claim if no resolution with the seller.

Secondly you could have checked on this forum or got to the FAQ > and read this.

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/how-do-i-open-a-dispute-with-a-seller-faq1344?app=search...

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Osabirca
Contributor
Contributor

You didn't read what I wrote.    

The email was not clear to me at all.   When I saw it was auto closing after the selling not responding, it made perfect sense to me that it would be closed in my favor - not the seller that didn't even dispute what I said.    I didn't think I needed to do anything, so I didn't.

How would I know to go to a forum for information?     Maybe if you are familiar with these things, you would know you needed to go get info or help.   I thought all was well.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Osabirca 

Well the email is pretty clear and tells you to escalate the dispute to a claim if you don't receive a refund / item from seller so not sure what else they can do to make you understand that.

And you managed to come to the forum AFTER your dispute closed to accuse paypal of not protecting you so I would have thought you would have managed to do so BEFORE your dispute auto closed. 

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Osabirca
Contributor
Contributor

That's not what the email said and again... IF it had been so clear, I, along with many other people, would not be in this situation.

And yes... I came AFTER Paypal let a scammer keep my money, to warn other people not to think that Paypal will protect them.    Not sure how I would have come BEFORE I had an issue.   Clearly... I didn't have an issue before.

Not sure why this is your business to argue for Paypal, who are not protecting people's purchases.   Your goal seems to be to tell me that Paypal was very clear, when they absolutely were not.   It's your opinion they were clear.   If they were, I'd have gotten my money back.   

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Osabirca 

Paypal give you loads of information all over the site on how to open and manage disputes + the email you get when you open a dispute.

Strange hundreds of others manage to use the dispute system successfully on a weekly basis and get their refunds but you couldn't??

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Osabirca
Contributor
Contributor

No.   I guess I was just not smart enough to do that.   Expected it worked like other financial institutes, which I have not problem working with.

Good job!   Insulting me really helps!

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Osabirca 

Insulting really? Truth hurts does it?

All I stated was that hundreds manage to successfully open disputes and get refunds but you choose to accuse paypal of terrible customer services just because you didn't understand how a dispute works and didn't bother to spend 5 minutes using the FAQ or this forum to get the answer.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.