PayPal keeps spamming me for additional info for FATCA compliance

Frickshow
Contributor
Contributor

I have setup a new business account and was required to enter my business/tax details for FATCA compliance. I did this, and IMMEDIATELY received 2 emails asking me to do the same again. On logging into my account, sure enough there's a warning on my Summary page that says "You have an account alert. Immediate attention required. We need more information about your organisation. If you don't provide this information by 15 Jan 2020 you won't be able to send or receive payments."

However, upon clicking the link in the warning, it responds with "Thank you for providing the required information. We'll get back to you in 2-3 business days." So I ignored it.

5 hours later I was spammed again, this time with FOUR EMAILS ALL AT ONCE, each subtly different in wording, but all demanding the same again! At this stage I was getting really jacked with this unprofessional behaviour, so I phoned and was assured that I've supplied all the info required, and they'll confirm by responding within a few days. The telephone rep apologised for spamming me and assured me that it must be a bug in the system and that IT WOULD NOT HAPPEN AGAIN.

Well guess what? About 8 hours later folks, I get another email, this time in a more demanding tone, again telling me to supply my details via the link https://www.paypal.com/policy/hub/fatca

That link just took me right back to the now-somewhat-less-than-reassuring "Thank you for providing the required information. We'll get back to you in 2-3 business days."

So it's at this point I decided to come here to the forum to see if any other new business members have experienced the same discourtesy and lack of professionalism from PayPal?

This sort of amateurism is not what I expected from a financial institution the size of PayPal, and harassment of this nature, evidently due to a misconfigured IT system, leaves me wondering what other little cyber-surprises they might just foist on users. If they can't even get something as simple as this right, I have to think twice about whether they can be trusted with my money, and the security of my personal & business data.

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

Frickshow
Contributor
Contributor

OK dear readers, so here's the next exciting chapter in the saga of 'How To Setup Your New PayPal Business Account'...

Well the very first 15th of January of a brand new decade dawned, and still nothing had changed in the world of PayPal. Sunset came and went, and then guess what - yep, you guessed right, folks, I got this email:

Your PayPal account is now limited because you didn’t provide the information we requested in our previous emails.
We require more information about your organisation to comply with our regulatory requirements. You can’t send or receive payments using your PayPal account until you provide this information.
Please click the button below to log in to your PayPal account to provide additional information about your organisation by 14 April 2020. Once you’ve logged in, follow the instructions to submit your information.

So being the obliging button-clicker that I am, I went right ahead, folks, and I clicked on that there button!!

And do you know what happened next? Aw, c'mon, take a wild guess...

Well, OK dear readers, I'll put you out of your misery and tell you then: no, I didn't exactly get a nice big, fat PayPal kiss; the response was something far more familiar indeed:

"Thank you for providing the required information. We'll get back to you in 2-3 business days."

So we're still on the same merry-go-round, folks, and it's continuing to spin round and round, seemingly with absolutely no-one in charge with their fingers at the controls. Round and round and round she goes - and when will she stop? NOBOBY KNOWS.

Login to Me Too

Frickshow
Contributor
Contributor

OK, so here's the final exciting chapter, dear reader...

At this point, I could see that if I didn't do something about it, my account would get shut down, so I phoned PayPal again and waited on hold for 30 minutes, before I had to go and run an actual business rather than waste any more of my day having my day wasted on hold.

A few days later, when I had more time to fritter away, I called again and was pleasantly surprised to have my call answered after just over 40 minutes this time.

I explained the situation, and to her credit, this time this rep actually knew what the issue was - apparently PayPal were waiting for me to complete and submit to them (via a secret email address that she told me) a W-8BEN-E form!

Now, just in case I haven't been sufficiently clear up to this point, let me just say now that nowhere either in my PayPal account, or in any of the multitude of emails that I'd received complaining about my tardiness in completing my business details, did it say anything even remotely like "Oh. How 'bout that ol' W-8BEN-E then, eh mate?" Nowhere. Apparently I was just supposed to have intuited it, perhaps by sheer guesswork, or by ESP - whichever seems more likely. 

Neither were particularly likely... since up to this point in my life, I'd never even heard of this rare and magical beast that goes by the enigmatic name of W-8BEN-E.

Anyhoo, the form comes from the IRS website and it's only 8 pages full of legalese gobbledygook, so as you'd imagine, completing it was a breeze.

After googling for the instructions, I found a couple of guides online presented by very helpful souls who'd had to wade their way through this legal minefield before. I had to laugh at the description in one of these guides: 

"This form is eight long pages of IRSese with such easy to understand terms as “Nonparticipating FFI (including a limited FFI or an FFI related to a Reporting IGA FFI other than a registered deemed-compliant FFI or participating FFI)”. If anyone knows what this means please post, because nobody at the IRS seems to know – at least nobody who answers the phones. When faced with completing this form for the first time it is near impossible to know what you need to fill in and the IRS instructions are as clear as mud. Edit (2016): The IRS updated their form in 2016 so I have updated the instructions. Amazingly they have made the form even more complicated – there really is no form too complicated that the IRS can’t make it worse."

So finally, after completing this secret document (that's so classified that PayPal cannot even write to you about it, nor notify you when you login to your account - indeed, so top secret that not even all of their telephone support reps know about it!) and sending it off to the equally secret email address that I cannot reveal here for fear of a PayPal death squad coming after me (because PayPal's regular service@ address isn't monitored) - after a couple of days I received a congratulatory email informing me that my account is no longer restricted - WOOHOO!!

OK, slight exaggeration about the tone of the email - it was actually very plain and succinct - but I sure felt like I deserved congratulations after all PayPal's put me through these last 2 weeks! 

Now, after all that - what's the bet no-one will want to pay me using PayPal anyway?

Login to Me Too

Farrahtaher

Sounds like you've had quite the adventure. I just opened a business account on Paypal myself and I'm getting the same alert.

Paypal needs info, but whenever I click the button I get sent to the 'Thank you, you're good' screen. 

Except the4 alert is still there.

So! What is this magical form you found? and more importantly, where do I send it? 

I'd like to get the whole issue off my back as soon as possible and 8 pages is a lot of paperwork to do without somewhere to send it. 

Thank you for your time!

Farah

Login to Me Too

Frickshow
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Farrahtaher,

Hopefully this will be of assistance to you. I don't know whether it will make any difference if you are in Australia or not (I am). I think it applies to anyone who isn't a US citizen - but I disavow all responsibility for any of the general info that follows!

The W-8BEN-E form is downloadable from https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-form-w-8-ben-e

And the instructions I followed in order to complete this behemoth of a form are here https://www.morganstanley.com.au/pub/content/dam/msaustralia/resources/margin-lending-documents-and-...

Finally, the top-secret email address I was instructed to send the completed form to was: tax document upload @ paypal . com (remove all spaces) - but don't tell anyone I told you!!

Login to Me Too

jen_p75
Contributor
Contributor

Thank-you thank-you thank-you!

This exact problem has been driving me mad. I tried the email you suggested and miracle of miracles, it worked!!

Login to Me Too

Frickshow
Contributor
Contributor

You're welcome @jen_p75 😊

Login to Me Too

Frickshow
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Farrahtaher,

Hopefully this will be of assistance to you. I don't know whether it will make any difference if you are in Australia or not (I am). I think it applies to anyone who isn't a US citizen - but I disavow all responsibility for any of the general info that follows!

The W-8BEN-E form is downloadable from https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-form-w-8-ben-e

And the instructions I followed in order to complete this behemoth of a form are here https://www.morganstanley.com.au/pub/content/dam/msaustralia/resources/margin-lending-documents-and-...

Finally, the top-secret email address I was instructed to send the completed form to was: tax document upload @ paypal . com (remove all spaces) - but don't tell anyone I told you!!

Login to Me Too

zaderoni
Contributor
Contributor

I'm on the same boat, thinking to quit PayPal after this amateurism. 
I just cannot accept you went through all that. Imagine your business to receive multiple orders daily and suddenly out of no where 
WITHOUT BEING YOUR FAULT you get a restricted account and you are unable to use your $$$.

Time to transfer $$$ to a serious banking company 🙂 
Let us know if you had more adventures with them, just for the laugh

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.