PayPal keeping funds from covid patients !!’

Ads8291
New Community Member
PayPal limited my account permanently 3 months ago bc I used my first initial of my name instead of my name, which is fine ! But they informed me they were holding my funds for 6 months incase or charge backs ???? I’m sorry ??? My accounts has literally never been used , what would there b to charge back ?!?!?!(ive never used my account !!! I received one payment from a relative and the funds are still there !!!! It was a friend and family payment at that , therefore I can’t be charged back ! My spouse recently contacted covid 19 & then obviously I did as well and times have been hard , we have an 8 year old child who is high risk and no income right now bc our unemployment is under investigation , I have this measly $75 in my PayPal account , it’s been 3 months so I decided to contact PayPal and kindly ask them to give me my funds considering there was no possibility of a charge back on an account that had never been used for buying/selling purposes - i knew it was a long shot but I figured with all the other business’s in the country right now showing kindness & offering help in any reasonable ways they can , that maybe PayPal would jump on that bandwagon ! But NO ! I got a Cold , uncaring , matter of Fact response from some lovely PayPal employee telling me I’d have to Wait until February 9 2020 ! That was it , plain and simple - no you can’t have your own funds and the covid 19 epidemic doesn’t matter , you being sick with it doesn’t matter , we can’t give you your own $75 under any circumstance ! I hope PayPal gets what they deserve someday - search google for all the horror stories about PayPal keeping thousands and thousands of dollars from the rightful owners of funds simply bc they CAN , but to do it during covid 19 and doing it To people who have contracted the virus and are vulnerable , sick , and truly terrified , that’s a new low , even for PayPal !!! I will be posting this everyway , I’ve already made a complaint with BBB but that is just the beginning - PayPal has went to far with their greed , other businesses trump you by far PAYPAL!!! Utility companies are letting people go months without shutting off utilities , other companies making Meals for those of us in quarantine , banks waiving overdraft fees and offering assistance and what’s PayPal doing ? Exhibiting greed and without empathy or kindness ! Shame on you ! I will make sure I never spend another red cent that Goes to you !!!!
Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Ads8291 

If you have been told your Paypal account has been permanently limited then Paypal holds any funds for 180 days as that is the same time frame that buyers have to open paypal disputes.

If no disputes are opened against you in 180 days then 'normally' you are allowed to withdraw the funds as long as you are over 18, the account is in your legal name and registered in the country where you reside.

And yes you could still get a dispute even if it was a family/friends payment as many scam sellers use that option to receive funds from buyers and buyers then file unauthorised claims or chargebacks to get their money back. Paypal has no way to know yours was a genuine gift payment.

Sometimes they confiscate funds under this policy.
https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full?locale.x=en_US#actions

Paypal also may request further documentation from you before you can withdraw those funds.

To be honest you may have a hard job getting the funds back AFTER 180 days if the account is not in your legal name and you can't prove with a legal document that the name on that document matches the name on your paypal account to prove its you. 

Your best bet is to wait until the phones are back up and running and then phone customer services so that you can speak to an agent.
Then they can help advise on how you can withdraw the funds if and when you are allowed to do so. OR ........

Live chat is randomly available.
You can send them a message.
Or have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their facebook or twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.