PayPal just refunded $200 for a virtual item despite the fact I provided overwhelming proof

YGM
Contributor
Contributor

I even uploaded the PDF which he paid for directly to PayPal and showed the website I designed for him (spent 2 full days).

We sent a total of 900 Facebook messages. I taught him all of the internet marketing secrets I know to get cheap traffic. 

I uploaded the entire FB conversation to PayPal dispute as well as 6 minutes of YouTube video with commentary showing our full conversation, including the part where he agrees to pay $200 in exchange for the PDF and the part where I send the PDF.

I even appealed after a phone call and the guy on the phone said based on the evidence he doesn't see how I could lose and it should be an open/shut case.

The buyer claims I am supposed to send a physical package, but hasn't uploaded any proof (obviously, there is none). 

Login to Me Too
18 REPLIES 18

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

PayPal does not provide seller protection for virtual items; it's clearly stated in policies.

You weren't able to provide a trading number to prove delivery, so no protection.

Next time, after the purchase, ship a small tracckable package so you have a tracking number.

Login to Me Too

YGM
Contributor
Contributor

They obviously do provide seller protection for virtual items, otherwise they wouldn't have emailed me 3 times asking for evidence, and they wouldn't ask for evidence in the first place when someone files a claim.

The fact that I uploaded clear proof including the PDF which was agreed upon (which I also proved), it doesn't make sense.

Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

There is protection for sellers of digital content,i think it has to do with the way you sends the content ,professional sellers who sell a lot use it .

or like the other suggested,send him something afterwards with tracking,$2.60 online shipping label will get you tracking,send a thank you note,invoice or a piece of candy!

Login to Me Too

YGM
Contributor
Contributor

I don't get why PP asks to upload proof for virtual items...?

I uploaded 6 minute long YouTube video which explained EVERYTHING.

This is a $200 order, can't the person responsible spend 10 minutes to evaluate the proof?

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Evaluation of the shipping information is very simple:  there is no documented tracking information to show delivery.  Your self-made video is not adequate.

Login to Me Too

YGM
Contributor
Contributor

"Hey, is the dispute for a virtual item?"

"Great, now upload proof that you delivered said virtual item."

"Thanks for uploading, we will go ahead and review."

"Sorry, we do not protect against virtual items."

Login to Me Too

YGM
Contributor
Contributor

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Did you provide download with timestamp logs that proved the buyer actually accessed the product?  Can/did you provide that?  Not 900 Facebook messages and a YouTube video.  Dun't seem like the evidence you supplied is sufficient, convos can be edited. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

Then again it can be argued what you provided the buyer is not only digital goods but also a service (spent 2 full days designing the website) and services are not protected under PayPal seller protection terms.

PayPal expanded PURCHASE PROTECTION for the buyer, not seller protection so do not even bother looking at that.  Read the terms under SELLER PROTECTION.  If you cannot provide download logs where the buyer actually accessed the material like it said you should in your screenshot, then sorry, PayPal cannot and did not find in your favor.

And don't bother asking agents what their opinion is on cases unless you ask them to close the case right then there if they feel confident, otherwise, it's lipservice to get you off the phone.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

just send him some information of the work you have done in hard copy,$2.60 if the payment is  under $750.

$2.60 is good enough with tracking, 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.