cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PayPal is Complicit With a Chinese Online Scam

Highlighted
Contributor

Re: PayPal is Complicit With a Chinese Online Scam

If you search scammers and PayPal you can read hundreds of folks that have tried and failed. I was denied because I wanted to know why I had to send it to China after buying from Texas. They sent me a canned reply telling me they are closing my request because I didn't submit the tracking number. Never did anyone answer my question. So....I filed a complaint with BBB and PayPal decided to call me, once, at my job in the middle of surgery which the surgeon would have my job if I answered, then again yesterday, while I was on airplane mode because I was in the air in a plane. Their response to my complaint is to say they've tried twice to contact me but they stand by their decision. You can read it on BBB site, Google PayPal and AZCozy scamming I think.
Highlighted
Contributor

It seems like the only real option is to just forego the dispute and start a chargeback with the credit card company.

Highlighted
Contributor

I will never use paypal again and I am so glad that i protected myself by credit card as well. Once the credit card company refused to pay paypal they were more inclined to refund my money i think because if they didnt the card company would not pay them.
Highlighted
Contributor

How do I do that?
Highlighted
Contributor

I've fallen foul of the same, I ordered a portable pressure washer, only $33 but still, it's $33. Advertised as a Dolins 40v hydroshot.

What they sent was a cheap hosepipe trigger spray worth $1.

PP refuse my claim for refund as they state that the item is "materially similar to the seller's description.

Who the heck works for PP, Stevie Wonder & Ray Charles?

I sent a copy of the email , which contained a pic of said item plus a pic of the item they sent.

Similarities, both require water, both have a hosepipe attachment, both orange/black colours.

Differences. Advertised item comes with pressure spray lance, foam spray lance, clear hose to utilise nearby pond/lake, adapter for plastic bottle, 40v battery, motorised water pump, motorised pressure booster.

Seller offered to refund if I returned the item they sent - cost me $13 to return, I'm out $46

Seller offered partial refund & keep the item they sent - I'm then out $25

Paypal refuse to refund, have closed the case and refuse further discussion - how can they not see that this is a clear case of fraud & they are complicit?

The prison sentence for driving the getaway car might not be as harsh as the bank robber's but it is still considerate. One of these days, some financial ombudsman will take away their powers, preventing them from trading and ever defrauding innocent people.

Highlighted
Contributor

I agree, I was just scammed this same way.  I filed a claim with my credit card company and when that is over I will be done with Paypal for good.  

Highlighted
Contributor

Since Paypal were of no use, I filed a claim with my credit card company - who say that they can start a claim once I return the item and the seller has signed for it!

I said that since the item sent is not what I ordered and nor is it anything like the item I ordered, surely this, then, comes under the remit of the unsolicited goods act & it is now down to the seller to send a prepaid address. basically, if they want it back, they are more than welcome to collect OR, if they send a prepaid mailer, I am more than happy to take a trip to the post office.

HOWEVER, I warned them that these sellers ask you to return parcel to specific addresses, anything turns up there, they simply refuse to sign for it - claim over.
Since Paypal operate in the UK, they are supposed to abide by UK trading laws so I've reported them to the Financial Services Authority. Apparently, they also have a license to operate as a bank and so must abide by banking laws as well!

Highlighted
Contributor

Thank you as a community why cant we prove to them we are being scammed?
Highlighted
Contributor

It's the way Paypal handles the disputes: basically if the seller can produce a tracking number to your zip code they side with the scammer. I never received anything and UPS tracking number showed whatever they sent was signed for by Vern.  Well, there ain't no Vern here.  Not to mention the weight of the item shipped was only .3 pounds.  The Yeti cooler though I was I buying weighs 30lbs empty.  **bleep** Paypal I'm done.  I've been with them for almost 20 years too but that doesn't count for anything. 

Highlighted
Contributor

So I finally got through to someone, probably a bot, via chat and they suggest I select 'Appeal' under action drop down menu in the closed cases section. Well what do you know, I don't have that option. The only option I have is to view the closed case. LET'S FILE A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT AGAINST PAYPAL!! NOT KIDDING.