PayPal is Complicit With a Chinese Online Scam

proege
Contributor
Contributor

There is a growing scheme where Chinese web sites advertise items for sale but send something worthless via First Class mail to some other address.  This gives them a tracking number that indicates delivery to the Customer's zip code. By sending the envelope to a different address, there is nothing to alert the buyer that anything has "arrived."  In my case, the "seller" sent a First Class envelope to someone in my town (I have no way of finding out to whom). USPS tracking does not capture the details of the package, except class and destination zip code.  The item I ordered weighs about 10 lb, well above the 16 ounce First Class weight limit - but PayPal considers any tracking record to your town as proof that the seller met his obligation.  It's very difficult to reach anyone to register a complaint, but when you do, they are powerless to listen to logic or take action.  I'm sure this scam has already yielded millions of dollars stolen from PayPal customers - it seems the company is complicit, with their illusion of protecting customers encouraging people to feel safe.  It's a good idea to look elsewhere for a financial system.

Login to Me Too
34 REPLIES 34

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@proege 

I doubt it's just chinese sellers doing it. Random scam sellers do it all over the world do it. Just do research on the seller/merchant before you buy. Don't always bank on price because it may end up biting you. Stick with the merchants you know and are reputable. Don't go to strange websites or ads you never heard of or do the research. If you find little to no info, keep it movin'.

Anyone can put a nice store/ad together. Buyer beware.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

scamvictimO_O
Contributor
Contributor

or paypal could simply eliminate the burden on scam victims to waste money to return worthless junk to china.  

Login to Me Too

wire5s
Contributor
Contributor

Even when you check the website it is hard sometimes to show it is a scam. I believe someone, possibly representing PayPal, suggested a way to do it. I tried! Could not prove a known scam was a scam! If it's that easy why don't PayPal run the checks themselves before allowing scammers to use PayPal?

Login to Me Too

4x4albert
Contributor
Contributor
This exact scam happened to me. I bought a tv for 100$ and a 2oz package was delivered to a different address with the same zip code according to USPS. PayPal considers the case closed as the merchant delivered something to someone in my zip. There seems no way to tell them how crazy wrong they are. I'm hoping my credit card company can help. F PayPal for this scam are they in on it? They are letting this scam continue and customers like me get scammed with no protection from paypal.
Login to Me Too

Dabel
Contributor
Contributor
I understand this, going through it myself and PayPal is in bed with the scammers, they back them with every dispute against the same seller by many of us. Then others here will find the same answer that PayPal has given me 20 times, copy and paste it to your problem. This increases your frustration because no.....it's no help to read the same answer I have 20 times in my mail box from PayPal. My advice to you is in the future come up with another method of paying and dropping PayPal, they no longer have your back and doesn't affect them that you got scammed on their watch.
Login to Me Too

Dabel
Contributor
Contributor
Oh, go to the Better Business Bureau and file a complaint against both the company that scammed you and PayPal for aiding and abetting the scammers.
Login to Me Too

4x4albert
Contributor
Contributor
The BBB is not useful. If you have ever tried to make a complaint with them you would know. They are businesses that pay a fee to join and can now say they are a member. The scammer is not a member. I doubt that paypal is. In any event in the most greivis cases they might warn the company that you made a complaint. No teeth there.
Login to Me Too

SJL1
Contributor
Contributor

Had the same thing happen to me so I reached out to my bank and now they are handling this. I have all of my email correspondence with London Meichi, even the one where they apologized for sending the wrong item, and I still have the packaging that has the name of the end incorrect item clearly stated in it. Good thing I kept my original confirmation email too because it shows clearly what I ordered. So when I got the denial from PayPal this morning, I sent the company a nasty gram (they'll probably ignore it, I know) and I decided to be evil to PayPal and resubmitted a claim but under unauthorized purchase. Made me feel better, anyway. But yeah, you would think that PayPal would trust the consumers in the USA before a foreign company. SMH!

Login to Me Too

4x4albert
Contributor
Contributor
I opened a "item not received dispute" and out lined the details of the scam and that the scam item was sent to a different address with the same zip code BEFORE they asked the scammer for proof of delivery. The tracking number shows as delivered to the same zip. THE MERCHANT (SCAMMER) SHOULD PROVE IT WENT TO MY ADDRESS not just my zipl. Much harder for me to prove I didn't receive it and it was purposely mailed to a different address. So simple to fix. Shame on you PayPal
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.