PayPal giving closed case in favor of a scammer (Michael <removed>). What to do?

fabiozc
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, a couple of months ago, I bought an item via an Instagram ad that was targeting me for a long time. A hammock with a stand. I've decided to give it a try and buy two one for me and another for my friend.

I paid USD 66,58 using Paypal (since I knew I could be secured in case of a scam), with the following order summary:
[50% OFF Today] ultimate comfortable leisure hammock--come with stand×2

As with any item from China, took a while until I received the product. To my surprise, when I received was just 2 pieces of Fabric. *Without* the stands, which basically was the reason I bought the product. Together with the fabric, a paper "In case of any problems, contact directly xxxx @ xxxx ". Which I did, saying that I've received the product with missing parts. They replied by offering 10% refund and without mentioning the stand or saying they're sorry or something. What I could do, was to send the fabric back paying for the costs myself (which would be around USD 20).  I replied it that makes no sense to use the fabric without having the stand, so I would like to receive the missing parts. Long story short, they offered up to 30% back, without mentioning the stand once. I told them I would open a dispute with Paypal. 

Looking in Paypal for the seller info and googling "Michael <removed> PayPal" I saw there are tons of similar cases with this same seller. So, I thought that would be an easy one. After having the discussion with the seller through the PayPal platform, I escalate it and requested a 90% refund (to avoid having to return the pieces of fabric I've received). Being a professional who works in one of the biggest online marketplaces worldwide and fighting against scammers  & bad intentioned people every day, I believed that PayPal had the same intention as me, and scammers "shall not pass"!

After 2 months of waiting for disclosure, I received the message that PayPal denied my claim because of insufficient information. What information do they need? I could have been asked for it! I noticed that the scammer was smart, since in the order summary for PayPal since it is long enough, it trimmed "with stand" from the sentence.

This story makes me so **bleep** since I hate from the bottom of my heart those type of people who tries to take advantage of others. The option to use PayPal was exactly to feel safe, which is not the case. Next time would be safer to buy using the credit card directly.

My question to you guys, is: How can I move this forward since I cannot reopen the case?

Thanks for your time and I am open to answer any question to make this clear.

Edit: added scammer name to the title to help other to not get fooled by this scammer

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

Aj92124
Contributor
Contributor

I have noticed the same thing I left eBay shopping about 3 yrs ago due to this reason. I just recently shopped again and a scammer. has ripped me off. ebay is No help at all so it looks like I might eat. 300$ loss and I am the buyer. I will never. use eBay again and plan to let all of ky associates know how bad it is.

Login to Me Too

rlm28
New Community Member

I'm having a similar issue.  I "bought" a trashcompacting trashcan from an ad that kept popping up on OfferUp.  I opted to pay through PayPal as I thought my purchase would be protected. The transaction date was 25 Aug 20, I have never received the item.  I opened a case after 2 failed attempts in contacting the seller.  The seller did not respond to me either time but miraculously responded to PayPal within hours.  They even supplied proof of delivery.  I can't even get in touch with PayPal to ask them to forward the proof of delivery to me as my case has been closed in favor of the seller.  What the FREAK!!!  I would've remembered getting a trashcan.  What do we do??? 

Login to Me Too

Aj92124
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Micheal

Contact your Credit Card company and file a dispute the **bleep**-up thing is since your not the shipper you cant even file a claim.

At least Amazon gives you your $$ instantly.

Login to Me Too

SamHad2
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem and I haven't gotten any resolution.  I disputed this with my cc company and they credited me back the funds. 

Michael <removed> is a scammer, post all over social media so other people don't get ripped off 

Login to Me Too

MalMeow
Contributor
Contributor

http://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/ https://reportfraud.ftc.gov/ https://www.bbb.org/scamtracker https://www.usa.gov/state-attorney-general http://www.ic3.gov/ REPORT THIS FRAUDULENT ACTIVITY IMMEDIATELY!!! Document, record, screenshot and save as much evidence that you currently have and anymore that you can discover about your victimization and this fraudulent activity. You will be given the opportunity to submit any and all information that you have in your dispute claim with PayPal. If you have more data to submit than is allowed in your original dispute claim you will be able to add more afterwards. Message PayPal’s chat and ask about the dispute concerning this issue. Eventually they will ask you if you have more information pertaining to your case and be given a link to submit more files. If you want your money back you must be persistent about this.

Login to Me Too

Rapscallion
Contributor
Contributor

Paypal continues to do business with Michael <removed> even though he is a scammer. This is absolutely disgraceful. Judging from the way that he scammed me, there will be many more victims. PAYPAL. DO SOMETHING!!!!!!

Login to Me Too

SleeplessinS
Contributor
Contributor
I just had the exact same problem with a same named seller (bought a ‘lego’ set from a Facebook ad and what I received is obviously fake). reading this thread I was very apprehensive about my chances so I just called and the agent closed it in my favor so I am assuming the pattern of abuse here has gotten PayPal’s attention
Login to Me Too

JohnRichardson
Contributor
Contributor

Exactly the same thing for me. Ordered a Hammock Rack for a receiver hitch and got a USED hammock worth about $20. I don't understand why PayPal allows this guy to keep doing what he's doing. 

Login to Me Too

darwinless
New Community Member

got scammed by the same <removed>. Resolved with pay pay in a matter of min. You should reopen the case.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.