PayPal friends and family dispute? Unauthorized Transaction

Campfires
Contributor
Contributor

So I sold a guy a pair of headphones, he said he could pay me through F&F if I drove over to his house and handed them to him. So I did. I gave them to him, and sent a request. Even put in a little: 4 dollars for delivery. Now there's a PayPal "Unauthorized transaction" dispute. How do I resolve this?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Campfires 

You made 2 mistakes, firstly accepting paypal for an item that was delivered rendering you no seller protection but also..............

Its against Paypal rules to accept a family / friends payment for selling goods and you risk your Paypal account being limited if you do so.

A buyer would not be able to open a Paypal dispute for 'non-receipt' OR 'not as described' as they would have no Paypal buyer protection.
However they can still open an 'unauthorised transaction' OR do a 'chargeback' (via their card issuer) and you may well lose as you would have no Paypal seller protection.

@idan_ro 

There is no seller protection for friends/family payments.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
14 REPLIES 14

idan_ro
Contributor
Contributor

Maybe this will help:

If the unauthorized transaction involves your PayPal Debit MasterCard®:
  1. Go to the Resolution Center at the bottom of the page.
  2. Click Report a Problem.
  3. Select the transaction you want to dispute, and click Continue.
  4. Select “I want to report unauthorized activity.”
  5. Click Continue.
Login to Me Too

Campfires
Contributor
Contributor

No, I'm the seller. It's also a friends and family transaction. 

Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Campfires 

You made 2 mistakes, firstly accepting paypal for an item that was delivered rendering you no seller protection but also..............

Its against Paypal rules to accept a family / friends payment for selling goods and you risk your Paypal account being limited if you do so.

A buyer would not be able to open a Paypal dispute for 'non-receipt' OR 'not as described' as they would have no Paypal buyer protection.
However they can still open an 'unauthorised transaction' OR do a 'chargeback' (via their card issuer) and you may well lose as you would have no Paypal seller protection.

@idan_ro 

There is no seller protection for friends/family payments.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Campfires
Contributor
Contributor

So... I'm **bleep**?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Campfires 

Depends, paypal may decide the payment was not unauthorised as an unauthorised dispute is telling paypal that their account was hacked and that the transaction was made without their consent.

Paypal check IP addys and devices and make a judgement call.

If they find they were NOT hacked then you would win.

If they found that they were hacked (or made it look as if they were) then as you had no seller protection you would lose.

BUT also you may find your account limited if paypal realise that you are using the friends / family option to sell goods/services to evade paying your paypal fee. 

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Campfires
Contributor
Contributor
Oh that's fine. I'm pretty sure the guy who paid me made the account like the hour before. I show his activity log, it was his first transaction. So they can see that the device is his, and wasn't hacked?
Login to Me Too

RoryJGN77
Contributor
Contributor
I have THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM DID U WIN THE CASE? Pls let me know ASAP
Login to Me Too

nazeefv
Contributor
Contributor

Running into a similar issue with a scammer claiming an unauthorized transaction on a friends and family payment. Was wondering if paypal sided with you?

If not, I might as well get a head start with the police report

@RoryJGN77 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.