PayPal encourages Scammers. You too can make money..

chedstock
Contributor
Contributor

I purchased concert tickets from another PayPal customer.  As soon as the payment went through, the person deleted their Facebook account, Facebook Messenger, and e-mail.  Needless to say, I was scammed out of $100 and didn't receive tickets.

PayPal said their policy doesn't cover anything that happens when you use their "friends and family" payment method.  In other words, PayPal said, "Not our Problem."  Even though the Scammer is a PayPal customer.  They sided with the Scammer.

Here's how you too can Scam through PayPal and make extra money, since PayPal is more interested in protecting them.  Scammers have more rights that us honest users:

1. Sell a product for around $100
  2. Collect payment through "friends and family" payment method.
  3. Don't deliver the product and break all communication ties.
  4. The purchaser will submit a dispute to their credit card company
  5. The credit card company will refund the money to the purchaser's account.
  6. PayPal will eat the cost, as you "the scammer", has already pocketed the money.
  7. PayPal eats the loss, as they don't care to pursue the Scammer.

PayPal has set up a perfect business model for you to make money scamming.

Happy Scamming.

Sorry for the rest of you, who are like me.  PayPal doesn't care.

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@chedstock 

I think the 'clue' is in the title, friends and family.

Was he a mate...no.

Was he a family member...no.

Were you buying goods...yes tickets, so why did you not use goods / services???

A friends / family (or gift payment) is intended as a transfer of funds from family or friends to one another. For this reason, there is no processing fee when payment is made with bank or PayPal balance.
However as it is a “gift” payment, there is also no Buyer protection as no goods or services should have been exchanged.

Your only hope is if you funded your paypal payment via a credit card then contact your card issuer and see if they will help you but unfortunately again as it was a 'gift' of money they may decline as well.
Paypal GIVES you buyer protection but you chose to negate it.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

chedstock
Contributor
Contributor
You focused on me not getting my money back. The focus is on PayPal knowing that a specific account, on their platform, is being used for a Scam to commit fraud, yet PayPal does nothing about it. I let PayPal know right away that it’s a scam. PayPal decided to release the fraudulent funds to the Scammer and allowed them to keep their account, so that they can continue to scam people and have PayPal protect them as they do it. I would have accepted PayPal saying, “We are unable to refund you your money, however we deleted the users account and they did not receive any funds.” Instead PayPal argues with the victim of fraud, who was taken advantage of on PayPals platform, as PayPal rewards the scammer by protecting them, releasing the funds to them, and allowing them to continue on scamming business as usual. Listen to the hold message in the IVR when you’re waiting for customer service. For 20 minutes straight you’ll here about PayPal’s commitment to protect its users from Fraud and all the security they have in place. Yet when fraud occurs on their platform, they’re there to protect the scammer. Well played PayPal, well played.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@chedstock 

Why would they ban the receivers account?

You didn't buy anything from them, you sent them a gift of money.

If you were buying goods and paid that way and didn't receive them then paypal would do something to get your money back and may take action against the scammer.

But you were not buying goods, you sent a gift of money as you used the friends / family option.

Paypal protects you BUT you have to actually take a few minutes to read up on their section on buyer protection first to make sure you know what coverage they offer........................

Ineligible items and transactions under PayPal’s Purchase Protection program

Payments for the following are not eligible for reimbursement under PayPal Purchase Protection:

• Real estate, including residential property.
  • Financial products or investments of any kind.
  • Businesses (when you buy or invest in a business).
  • Vehicles, including, but not limited to, motor vehicles, motorcycles, recreational vehicles, aircraft and boats.
  • Significantly Not as Described claims for wholly or partly custom-made items.
  • Donations including payments on crowdfunding platforms.
  • Items prohibited by the PayPal Acceptable Use Policy.
  • For Item Not Received claims, items which you collect in person or arrange to be collected on your behalf, including items bought in a seller’s store location.
  • Industrial machinery used in manufacturing.
  • Anything purchased from, or an amount paid to, a government agency.
  • Stored value items such as gift cards and pre-paid cards.
  • Gambling, gaming and/or any other activity with an entry fee and a prize.
  • Payments sent using PayPal’s friends and family functionality. 
  • Payments sent using PayPal to any bill payment service.
  • Payments made using PayPal Payouts and Mass Pay or guest checkout transactions (i.e. not sent using your PayPal account).

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

chedstock
Contributor
Contributor
Your argument is similar to someone that would blame a victim of domestic violence for getting beat on. If they would just keep their mouth shut, they wouldn’t get beat on, as they should know better. Focus on what the victim should or shouldn’t do, instead of focusing on the crime that was committed.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@chedstock

In life you sometimes have to take responsibility for your own actions.

You sent a payment negating your buyer protection because you didn't read up on paypal buyer protection and failed to realise you were not covered.

No one forced you to do so and millions of buyers manage transactions correctly on a daily basis.

Instead of thinking (as myself and many others would do)...'how silly I was, I will learn from that and not do it again'.....you chose to rant and complain about paypal for your own mistake.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

chedstock
Contributor
Contributor
You know what, I will take your advice and maybe I’ll use PayPal to run a scam or two to make my money back, and then some? You’re right, it’s not the Scammer’s fault. They have found the true way to use PayPal to make money. I may like PayPal’s business model after all? No more ranting and raving, just making money using PayPal’s lack of security and protection. Thank you for the business opportunity PayPal.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@chedstock 

I give up my time to save folks from scams and scammers on here.

But i can't help those that let themselves be scammed or don't come here first to check.

You are blaming 'the world and his wife' for your own mistake..........learn from it and move on.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Temp20201011c
Contributor
Contributor
Google heyju scams. I wish I did before I gave them $164.40 via PayPal. Honestly, something smelled fishy when the order confirmation was sent by a bizarre address. I tried to cancel my order through heyjue.com but my emails got kicked back. I reached out to PayPal as I believed exactly what you stated above; they’re the good guys and I’m a good guy and they’ve got my back. PayPal says, the funds haven’t been transferred but we can reverse them when they are. I asked the chat CSA about heyjue.com. As of September 2019, my CSA reported over 97% of the over 10,000 heyjue via PayPal transactions in 2019 were reported as positive. -surprise! No one else can find that information or even statistics that would have been presented in that format!! PayPal advised me to pay the $29 to ship the 1 dress out of 5 that was actually delivered (it was GARBAGE) to the address in China they provided. Guess what? The floor of the building didn’t exist and it was undelivered. Where it went from there? Who knows? Nobody in China can tell me, that’s for sure. PayPal, while in possession of the photos of the PO receipt next to the package at the PO where I left it, says I am ineligible for any portion of my $164.40 to be returned bc I “clearly remained in possession of the dress”. They can see the other 4 items in the order NEVER shipped. But I’m not eligible for a refund bc I perpetrated fraud by claiming to return and item that I kept. 15 years I’ve been a PayPal customer. My freaking brother-in-law was just given the President’s Award by PayPal as a top employee; what do you wanna bet he’s not going to share $164.40 of his bonus!! 😂😂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.