PayPal dispute - eBay purchase (Blacklisted Phone)

mrlip
Contributor
Contributor

Hi All

I wanted to see if I could get some advice/input on an issue I am having. 

I purchased an iPhone from eBay 7 weeks ago. Did all the usual checks at the time via Checkmend to make sure it wasn't reported lost/stolen or had a contract tied to it and all came back fine. However as of Friday 18th Jan the phone has now been blacklisted by the network and no longer works. I spoke to the network and they've informed me that there are unpaid bills on the phone which were not stated on the item listing at sale, and these can only be paid by the seller. I have contacted the seller to inform him of the situation. There is nothing I can do in regards to this situation and therefore raised a SNAD dispute in PayPal on Sunday 20th Jan to ask for a full refund. 

I know this is unfortunately a fairly common scam were the phone would be reported lost/stolen weeks later to claim on insurance or, as in this case, any monthly bills linked to it would cease payment. I received an email from PayPal today saying they are refusing my case as "the item was delivered as ordered". I am not even sure they have properly read my case as I am not disputing it hasn't been delivered, I am disputing the fact it clearly isn't as described in the listing. However when I login to the resolution centre the dispute is still showing as under review so I'm not sure - has it been refused or still under review?? If refused then I will be appealing but can't do that yet as it is still showing as under review. 

Was hoping someone could shed some light on both the overall situation and the refused/under review situation.  

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@mrlip

Your best bet is to phone customer services and tell them what you have said here.

Click on the words "Help / Contact" at the bottom of paypals pages and use the phone option in the blue band at the top OR very bottom of page dependent on what country you are in. Scroll down past the list of help questions and click on 'Call us' bottom of that page. Log in and get the code.
Freephone from a UK landline or UK mobile number.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@mrlip

Your best bet is to phone customer services and tell them what you have said here.

Click on the words "Help / Contact" at the bottom of paypals pages and use the phone option in the blue band at the top OR very bottom of page dependent on what country you are in. Scroll down past the list of help questions and click on 'Call us' bottom of that page. Log in and get the code.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

mrlip
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass wrote:

@mrlip

Hi

I've just contacted PayPal CS and they are re-opening the case as they feel I should be getting a refund on this. They said I should hear from their back office team, usually within 72 hours, and I may need to provide additional information. 

Thanks for your help. I will keep this thread updated for others reference. If anyone else has any input please let me know. 

Login to Me Too

CE10
Contributor
Contributor
Same problem. Bought an iPhone 11 pro in January however it was blacklisted last week. PayPal have denied my claim. How is this fair when the seller has reported the phone stolen after selling it to me resulting in the handset being blacklisted. This is fraudulent and not fair. I bought a phone in good faith on ebay knowing that I am protected for at least six months should the seller report the phone stolen in an insurance claim which is what has happened here. How fair is this?  Only the seller can report the phone as being stolen. The frustrating thing is the I can't talk to anyone and the messaging system is terrible
I have just received an email from PayPal stating that the claim has not been decided in my favour. This is terrible

Did you have a positive outcome? how did you achieve this?
Login to Me Too

mrlip
Contributor
Contributor

If you are in the UK you need to file an Action Fraud report and get a reference number. Once you have that raise it with PayPal and they will refund.

Login to Me Too

katinc1
New Community Member

I also bought a phone on ebay from ezwaywireless a.k.a. ELC Consultants...(stay away folks). Ebay was in the process of refunding me for this phone that had a 2nd account with unpaid bills. But, because I had previously created a dispute with Paypal through the resolution center, Ebay stopped the manual refund process (manual process because it was over 90 days from purchase date). The case was closed by Paypal not in my favor on 5/31/2020 without contacting me nor checking or explaining to me why the case was not decided in my favor. Then even though the PayPal case was closed, Ebay stops the process of the manual refund on 6/6/2020 which would have been successful had I not logged a complaint with PayPal! So not only did the dispute case with PayPal do nothing to help me get a $621 refund, but they also messed up the chance for me to get a refund through the Ebay process. Note that the Paypal case was closed 5/31/20 well before ebay started the manual return process on 6/5/20. This is an abomination to say the least. Why would a closed dispute case at Paypal have any bearing as to why Ebay would not submit a refund? I am requesting a phone call from someone in charge at PayPal that would be willing to reach out with me to Ebay and get this right. The lack of communication between these two companies has left me in the middle and I have yet to see any refund. Very unhappy with this convoluted process. 

Login to Me Too

Teja2
Contributor
Contributor
I bought a iPhone XR from a well established store on Ebay in may only for it to be blacklisted last week
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Teja2 

You have 30 days to open an Ebay dispute which I would reccemmend you do before if that fails opening a Paypal dispute.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.