PayPal denies refund for obvious fraud

Temp20230525HH
Contributor
Contributor

Here's an account of how someone in China gamed PayPal's rules to steal $25 from me and get PayPal to deny the refund.

On October 28, 2019, I ordered an electrical box from a Chinese company for $24.94. I made the payment using "good and services", supposedly giving me PayPal seller protection.

The seller didn't ship anything or reply to my messages, so I filed a PayPal dispute November 13 saying I had never received the merchandise.

On November 14, the seller shipped "a package" and provided PayPal with a tracking number. PayPal told me that since a shipping number had been provided, I would need to wait until delivery was attempted. Okay.

On December 30, a "package" arrived. It was actually a tiny envelope that literally contained only a tiny piece of string. PayPal then told me that since a package had been delivered, my "never received merchandise" complaint was no longer valid. Because of that, I changed the complaint to "merchandise was not as described" (since that was the closest option from the available ones), including a photo of the envelope and tiny piece of string.

On January 13, PayPal told me that since I was alleging fraud, I needed to file a fraud complaint with a third party, which I did. I provided PayPal with a copy of the complaint.

On January 21, PayPal told me that since my complaint is that the merchandise was not as described, I could get a refund only if I shipped the merchandise back to China with signature confirmation. I explained again that there was no merchandise to ship back: the seller had sent me a tiny worthless envelope, presumably to avoid my "never received the merchandise" complaint.

Today, PayPal told me that they can't give me a refund because I "refused" to ship back the "merchandise" I was sent.

This is extremely annoying. This is clearly intentional fraud by the seller, who has figured out a way to both prolong disputes as far as possible... and to force disputes to be resolved in their favor by sending a worthless package that you can't return when PayPal asks you to.

Has anyone else been the victim of a similar scam?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

Lipstickmuse
Contributor
Contributor
I was scammed $168 and the same thing happened. A random item was sent, not even close to what I was ordered and paypal denied the refund. Im still trying to get my money back
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.