PayPal compliance requesting birthdate of a recipient in the notes

BennyThePep
Contributor
Contributor
So I tried donating to a local car club and in the comments mentioned 3 names of kind volunteers within the club I’d like to recognize. PayPal now has my account locked and is requesting a birthdate for one of the people mentioned in the notes. He isn’t even the owner of the account the money was destined for. I’m not willing to request PII data to fill whatever requirements PayPal has and I think it is kind of ridiculous they are asking for this via email, an insecure channel. I’ve requested a refund since they are unwilling to process this transaction but I feel under no obligation to be put in the middle of this. Additionally I feel like I should be putting this before my states Attorney General and Privacy Commissioner as this seems completely out of line with California laws. Anyone been in this situation? PayPal responses are canned and I’m at the point of calling my bank to reverse the charge.
Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

CompVic
New Community Member

The same thing happened to me. I sent a cousin some money to ship a gift to two other cousins that were getting married. I gave her their address. One of them has a Latinx name, and PayPal froze the transaction and asked for his birthdate. NOT the birthdate of the woman with the "Anglo" sounding name. I explained what the transaction was for, and that I didn't have nor thought that asking for his birthday was appropriate or necessary. Got the same email, that I needed to give his birthdate. I sent a note telling them this is racist and to cancel the transaction. We went back and forth with my cancellation request, each time they sent the same email asking for his birthdate. Each round takes several days, and they are already married now! I early on sent the money to my cousin via Zelle because I didn't know how long PayPal would take to resolve it. I am still fighting with them on it. This transaction was only for $25, and I doubt that I'll ever see the money again. Thankfully it isn't for more! I will try working with my bank next. Any other suggestions?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.