PayPal charges show up on my bank account that is NOT tied to PayPal.

Thig
Contributor
Contributor

I have an old bank account that I seldom use.  It has NEVER been used with PayPal, nor have I ever had a reason to divulge its existence to PP.  Recently, 4 transactions (3 withdrawals and 1 deposit!) showed up on that bank account.  (Naturally, they do not appear on my PP account.)

I reported this to my bank, but I cannot figure out how to report it to PP.  The "Resolution Center" only allows you to submit information about a transaction on your PP account.  But these, of course, are not ON my PP account.  

I also tried the "messaging" center, and have not heard back.  I cannot even find an email address or phone number.  How can you contact someone for a problem like this?  My bank wants me to get PP to acknowledge that these were not made by me on my PP account.

Thanks!

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Thig 

If you bought something online with a debit or credit card and did NOT log into your Paypal account then of course it won't show on that Paypal account because you bought as a 'guest buyer'.
However your seller may have processed that payment using their Paypal 'card reader' and so Paypal would show on your bank or card statement.

If that is not the case then contact customer services AND your card issuer to query the transactions.

If you need to open a dispute for a 'guest buyer' transaction then you can.......

1. Phone Paypal customer services and see if they will open one for you (difficult at the moment due to covid)
OR
2. Contact your card issuer for a chargeback.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Thig
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for that message, @kernowlass 

I should clarify that I did not authorize these transactions in any fashion.  I have no further knowledge of them other than that they appear on my bank statement.  They were not initiated by me, nor authorized by me.

I have already contacted the fraud department of my bank.  My difficulty is that my bank wants me to get PayPal to acknowledge that I did not authorize these transactions, and I am not able so far to find a way to contact PayPal.    I just tried the phone number [Removed. Phone #s not permitted] and they flat-out said that you cannot speak to a customer service rep at this time.  (Too busy.)

Thanks for any suggestions.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.