PayPal charged back and won’t take responsibility for the $60 in fees

Clby
Contributor
Contributor
So awhile ago my girlfriend send me money 3 separate times. Randomly one night at 2am I got notifications that each payment was chargedback. This chargeback was not done by her and PayPal claims the bank did it. Whatever I think so next day I contact PayPal disputes and show a bunch of stuff showing this really was a friends and family transaction and neither of us authorized it. Fast forward I was than rejected and charged back $60 in fees for this. PayPal tells each of us they can’t do anything and to contact the bank. The bank has no record of it and can’t do anything. The 3 payments never even showed back up in her account. PayPal refuses to even talk to us about this. One agent told me that the $60 in fees will prob be removed due to the situation. Fast forward again and the $60 in fees stand and they actually removed another $1.70 from my account and I’m not sure why. My question is any suggestions to how to get this fixed? PayPal Support is useless and won’t help me at all with this but I would really like to not pay $60 in fees for all of their mistakes. Any advice helps. Thank you
Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

PayPal_Siobhan2

Hi Clby, 

Thank you for contacting the PayPal Community Forum and welcome as a new member!

The chargeback process is external to the PayPal system. The buyer's credit card issuer grants its members specific consumer protection which PayPal has no authority to replace or reduce. If a PayPal user initiates a chargeback with their credit card company we have no way of stopping the claim. Please note that there are costs associated with processing chargebacks. When a PayPal payment is charged back, we're charged a fee by the credit card issuer. We pass this non-refundable fee on to you. If you are unsure this information is correct, please contact your own bank and they will verify this for you. 

- Siobhan 

Login to Me Too

Clby
Contributor
Contributor
As I said the person didn’t contact their bank. I know as 1 I was on the phone call to the bank with them and 2 I personally know them. It was PayPal who opened it for no reason. Both of us contacted PayPal but seems like they scammed us out of $160 as they refuse to do anything. She hasn’t got her $100 back and I have $60 in fees
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Siobhan2

I'm afraid Paypal have no authorization to dispute a bank card payment with a customers financial institution. We would be unable to do this due to Data Protection Laws. 

- Siobhan 

Login to Me Too

Clby
Contributor
Contributor
I feel like ur purposely misunderstanding. Bank never got notification about this. Bank never recover any notes or funds from PayPal. PayPal refused to contact the bank in the case and stole money and charged fees for it. Asking if others got the same scam against them or solutions here as this was 100% a scam
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Siobhan2

I am sorry you feel this way. Based on the information you provided in relation to the Chargeback and fees, we can advise you that the chargeback process is external to PayPal. This is not a dispute opened by PayPal, we do not conduct the investigation on the dispute nor do we make the decision on a chargeback dispute. A chargeback is owned by the bank/card issuer. 

- Siobhan 

Login to Me Too

Clby
Contributor
Contributor
Not in this case as I can 100% promise you the person I date did not open this. The bank never heard a word about it and was confused when we called. From all info provided it shows PayPal has done nothing but place blame on others and ignore the issues. Idk where you think the bank did this but it’s 100% not the bank and as I said before please contact the bank if you think that’s not true as the bank still has not gotten work of it or the original payment back which we would very much like.
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Siobhan2

As previously stated I can only advise you based on the information you have provided in the messages and with regards to chargeback cases and the fees incurred which you have mentioned, these are disputed and charged by the bank. 

I would recommend reaching out to us via Facebook or Twitter and we may be able to assist you in this further. 

- Siobhan 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.