PayPal asking for ssn

MikeBinEBK
New Community Member
Hello I am 17 and have a PayPal account but am willing to provide my SSN would PayPal shut down my account even if I provide it?
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@MikeBinEBK 

Yes, possibly because you have to be 18 and over to operate a PayPal account. The funds will be on hold for 6 months before you can withdraw. Then when you are 18, contact customer service to arrange a new account. If they don’t catch you now, they will eventually if they ever ask for photo ID to verify your identity. They can’t allow accounts opened while a minor. Some have been caught more than 10 years later.

So if you’re only asked to input SSN and and the account is not limited after that, transfer out any funds ASAP, remove bank account/cards and close it. Then open new account when you are of age.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@MikeBinEBK 

Yes, possibly because you have to be 18 and over to operate a PayPal account. The funds will be on hold for 6 months before you can withdraw. Then when you are 18, contact customer service to arrange a new account. If they don’t catch you now, they will eventually if they ever ask for photo ID to verify your identity. They can’t allow accounts opened while a minor. Some have been caught more than 10 years later.

So if you’re only asked to input SSN and and the account is not limited after that, transfer out any funds ASAP, remove bank account/cards and close it. Then open new account when you are of age.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.