PayPal acct hacked via Facebook

Flatpkr

Just after midnight on Christmas, Capital One texted me a notification regarding a questionable transaction on my Visa. I did not see it till later in the morning. It referred to a transaction through PayPal, specifically "PAYPAL *FB FUNDRAISER," for $1575.31. Investigating my PayPal acct, it had been emptied of my $204.00 balance, and my wife received an email thanking her for our $1780 "donation" to Camp Fire Relief Fund, a "fundraiser" for William Aldrich ("receiving donations directly"). Facebook Fees were $46.48, so the poor guy "only" got $1733.42. My PayPal acct is supposedly protected by 2-factor authentication---a text with a 6-digit code sent to my phone in order to even log in. I did not get a text, of course. 

Has anyone else had their PayPal acct, and their back-up payment source, hacked through a fraudulent Facebook "charity?" Do I have any recourse? I called Capital One and locked my card. I changed my PayPal PW and my wife changed her Facebook PW, but the horse was already out the barn door.

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

Wyldraider
Contributor
Contributor
My Paypal account was hacked just two days ago and since my Paypal account didn't have enough money in it it took the remainder from my bank debit card which withdrew my checking account and also costed me a $39 overdraft fee. I didn't donate to this fundraiser and the only way I knew that it had happened was from an email from my bank saying that my account is overdrawn. How did you solve this problem, and did you get your money back?
Login to Me Too

Wyldraider
Contributor
Contributor
Someone hacked my personal PayPal account with a Facebook fundraiser. And since I didn't have enough money in my Paypal account it took the rest from my bank account because I had my debit card as a backup. My checking account was also overdrawn and I got hit with a$39 overdraft fee.
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Siobhan2

Hi Wyldraider, 

Thank you for contacting the PayPal Community Forum!

You can report unauthorized activity on your PayPal account by following the steps provided in this link - https://www.paypal.com/smarthelp/article/how-do-i-report-unauthorised-paypal-account-activity--faq19...

- Siobhan 

Login to Me Too

Nycvip212
Contributor
Contributor
PayPal is completely useless in protecting your money. I had the same thing happen and they told me that if I wait 30 days and the merchant doesn’t accept the payment from my account then it will be forfeited… what?!? I called as soon as a saw a pending charge and they told me they can’t stop the charge even if it’s fraud but they can “make a note of it”. I can try calling back AFTER the money is gone and dispute the charge after which they will again “make a note of it and see what they can do then”. Not at all reassuring. I am out $200-. I thought PayPal was a safer way to pay? That’s what they advertise. My bank and credit cards put an immediate hold on my account so they can’t get any money from PayPal, but everything that was credit in my PayPal account is now gone, and PayPal is not willing to help even if the charges are PENDING only, they could put a hold on the account but I think it’s cheaper for them to bill their own insurance and let the scammers do their thing than to actually fix this problem with their business. What they don’t see is that their business relies on people trusting PayPal and I have Zero faith in this company now. No help at all. Take my $200 if it means that I never have to deal with anything PayPal ever again.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.