PayPal accounts not secure to hacking

gsantos57
New Community Member

Used Paypal for a while and never had problems. It seems that now Paypal has weak spots for hackers.  I received and email from Paypal about a payment for $280 to a seller.  I immediately entered the page and tried to contact the seller and inform Paypal that this was an unauthorized payment.  I received an email back from paypal that said that they would investigate and reply in about 9 days.  I received a reply from the seller and he told me that he also contacted Paypal to inform he did not had any money transaction with me.  Paypal told him that it seemed that somebody hacked both of our accounts and was using his to get the money and then transfer the money out of his account.  With all this information at hand, and with my money still in my bank, still, two day later the money left my bank. Now I am $280 in the negative side until this is solved. The selling point of Paypal is that nobody can see  your bank info when making purchases, still the most dangerous part took place, which was they were able to get money from my bank.  Disappointing that a name like Paypal was not as strong in security as expected.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

Oregon11
Advisor
Advisor

In your account profile under the security settings, you're able to set up a security pin. When set up this would require a temporary pin be sent to your phone every time you log into your account with your password.

Login to Me Too

kailangyu
New Community Member

Someone hacked mine ... and took out $2999.98 from my bank account!

Login to Me Too

felixfantasycat
Contributor
Contributor
I have two eBay accounts and two corresponding PayPal accounts. I've just discovered that when I try and switch between the two, the login details of the account I'm switching from are remembered. This means that my log in data is stored on the devices I'm using unencrypted. This means it would be a simple matter for a hacker to take control of my account (if my phone was stolen or burglars/hackers gained control of my desktop computer). The PayPal system seems to have been very shoddily designed and coded. It is a nightmare to track payments as it pays from different sources and you need to delve right down to discover what has happened if say, the payment is partly from a PayPal balance and partly from a bank. They also seem completely unaccountable. Unfortunately, if you want to use eBay then, practically, you need to use PayPal. I'm so incensed by their lack of customer support "due to Covid", I'm considering a formal complaint to the Financial Ombudsman in the UK. The FOS have no jurisdiction but hold significant influence on politicians. Neither do UK politicians hold much sway but if every country makes it difficult for PayPal to operate they might condescend to employ some competent software engineers to correct their disgraceful systems.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.