PayPal account was hacked, money stolen and no help from PayPal

Temp20221020ad
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, My account was hacked and there appeared an unauthorized transaction on my account sent to David <removed>, whom I do not know and never had business with. I immediately changed my password and opened a case for refund. However PayPal refused my appeal explaining that they did not find evidence that the transaction was unauthorized. Person in customer service explained that it looks like transaction was made from the same computer as usual, which is not possible as it was off at the moment of transaction. Even though if they would REALLY investigate this case I am sure they would definitely find out that the different IP address was used. As my Google account was hacked few days later and I could clearly see the IP was wrong even though Google system would show it is &quot;the same computer as usual&quot;. I have opened this case 5 times and there was no help at all from PayPal. Already filed a report to the cyber police. PayPal safety system is very low and their investigation is useless and moreover I see they are very rude and unhelpful towards fraud victims of their poor system. If any one had the same problem and managed to resolve it please share your strategy.

Login to Me Too
19 REPLIES 19

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @Temp20221020ad,

I'm very sorry to hear that your claim was not accepted. Please consider running a virus scan and examining the security of the connection that you use to access PayPal. If the payment seemed like it was coming from the same place as usual, it's possible that there is malware on your computer or your network is being used maliciously.

I hope that you're able to get to the bottom of this quickly!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

bookguy221
Contributor
Contributor

This just happened to me today. Someone named MOHHAMAD sent four gift cards to the tune of almost $3000 Canadian. I went through their resolution system and withing an hour or two I had been declined by a computer .I do not know who this person is and I am on a disability pension so there is no way that money is in my bank account to be taken by paypal. This has absolutley broken me. I have been a good paypal customer for about twenty years and this is what I get from them. My paypal was hacked and money that I do not even have was stolen and when it comes time for this $3000 to be taken out of my account it will do me in. 

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Drew

Hi @bookguy221

I can see why that would be a frustrating experience. I'm sorry you had to go through this. Our social media team would be happy to review this with you to make sure it's handled appropriately. You can reach them on Facebook or Twitter

Thanks, 

Drew

Login to Me Too

l112
New Community Member

please i have money on my paypal but i am unable to get it out this is **bleep**..... i need my money for business purpose been texting the customer care no help from past 2month this bad it sucks

Login to Me Too

haleytrolinger
Contributor
Contributor

I've just had $3000 taken off my credit card to some guy named Edward for a "used Macbook pro" that I did not purchase. Paypal has been useless and so I'm praying that my credit card company will dispute it. They have to do a 60 day investigation. I didn't even have $3000 credit left on my credit card so I don't know how the transaction went through! Did your bank reconcile it for you?

Login to Me Too

nathangur
Contributor
Contributor

I had a similar experience.  Computer was hacked. Ransomware attack.  I have screenshots and copies of the ransomware note/files.   But PayPal would not even give me the time of the day.  Case closed three times, people on the phone were rude to me, etc.

I've already rejected the payment from my bank, and told the last customer to chargeback  his CC transaction.   Will see what paypal does when my becomes a negative one.

Contrasting this with the way my bank and credit card company responded.  Night and day.   I'm surprised this issue doesn't get more attention.  How can they stay in business with such an attitude? 

Login to Me Too

haleytrolinger
Contributor
Contributor

Did your bank have any problems stopping payment? My experience is $3000 being charged to my Credit Card and Paypal being useless and continuously closing my case. My credit card company is doing a 60 day investigation and I'm scared to death they are going to believe paypal and not cancel payment. 

Login to Me Too

haleytrolinger
Contributor
Contributor

Was your problem resolved? I'm currently experiencing the exact same thing. $3000!!! My credit card company is investigating but I'm scared they'll go off of Paypal's word and not cancel the charge. I'm hoping you have good news!

Login to Me Too

Niners86
New Community Member

This just happened to me.  I had $450 in my account and have not touched it in a long time - over 8 months.  I suddenly got a notification from my bank that 3 separate $150 withdrawals were requested from paypal.  That was not me so I tried to login to my paypall account and the password was changed!  I figured out how to change it and got it - they changed the language to Chinese!  It took my a very long time to figure out how to get it back and when I did I saw 10 withdrawals over 1.5 months to a card that was not mine that they setup ranging from $20-$90.  $450 total!

There were also 2 addresses outside of my state added that I do not know.  

I submitted a fraud claim and they said this was not fraud!  I keep going back and forth with them and they still say no one hacked my account and this was not fraud!

This is crazy and unacceptable to consumers.  They wont event tell me why they think it was not fraud.  I don't know what else to do.  I feel scammed not only by who hacked me but also by paypal for the lack of security and accountability. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.