PayPal accepted false tracking info from fraudulent seller and closed my dispute

aradiiaa
Contributor
Contributor

I ordered something online on March 15, 2020 and the seller did not provide any shipping notification or tracking number within the promised time frame on the website, and the seller did not respond to my attempt to contact him so I filed a dispute on PayPal on March 24 after finding out the seller's posted business address was fake and the website domain was only days old. I attached my order invoice and a screenshot to my dispute. A few days later, the seller provided to PayPal a UPS tracking number to prove "delivery" of this item, and this tracking number indicated the item was delivered on March 20, days before I filed a dispute. However, the tracking number indicates that the package weighs less than a quarter of what my merchandise weighs, so obviously this weight inconsistently indicates that this is not what I ordered. UPS also indicated that this package was shipped to a completely different location and recipient, so the tracking number is DEFINITELY not for the correct package, and now the seller's website no longer exists. I tried to contact PayPal but the representative who replied to my message refused to help me and redirected me to call a call center that is closed due to COVID-19. She also asked me to file a dispute even though I already told her I did this and even provided the case ID number. I cannot file a dispute now because the existing one was closed in the seller's favor. PayPal completely failed to verify the validity of the tracking information provided by the seller. They just accepted whatever was given to them and closed the case without giving me a fair chance to provide any additional information. I'm taking it to UPS and my bank to see if they can help, but in the mean time, is there anyway I can escalate this? I can't find any helpful options. 

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@aradiiaa 

PayPal system doesn't go as far as to check the validity. It checks for whether shipment status says "delivered" or not to city, state, zip. Anything else, you'll need to get official documentation that the address on the parcel is not your street address and not delivered to your street address from UPS's fraud dept. You may also file a police and/or ic3.gov report. Pdf it all, ready to upload on appeal but due to this virus thing reducing staff, it will take more patience and perseverance to reach someone that can help review your case.

Now if you paid via credit/debit card, you can dispute it through financial institution instead since the PayPal case is already closed.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

aradiiaa
Contributor
Contributor

I have the documentation, I opened a claim with UPS and they sent me a PDF stating they could not find sufficient proof on the delivery of the package and this PDF also showed the shipping address on file which is how I found out the seller did not ship the package to me in the first place. Where exactly do I go to make sure this gets to somebody at PayPal?

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@aradiiaa 

Do you see an appeal button for the case in the Resolution Center? If not, then alternatively, you'll have to contact customer service to appeal the case but if reaching out to customer service has been difficult, take it up with your financial institution instead.

To contact customer service for assistance:

1. Log on.
  2. Click HELP at the top menu.
  3. Scroll down and click CONTACT US.
  4. Scroll down to click CALL US or other contact options.

If calling, call early, during business hours, west coast time to try to get a US rep. 

Or contact via social media:

Facebook (US): https://www.facebook.com/PayPal/

Facebook (Worldwide): https://www.facebook.com/paypal

Twitter (US): @AskPayPal 

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

dragonlilly
New Community Member

Tis just happened to me I ordered 2 wooden beehives that have several boxes. i open a claim when the website no longer exsist like 2 days after ordering it . and they said they provided a tracking number. it was for 5 pound. i never got anything and i certainly did not get the bee hives i can not contact anyone to dispute it and this was 100.00 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.