PayPal Permanently Limited my account - Without Warning

xtekkit
Contributor
Contributor

I have been selling digital goods on my account for about 18 months now. The items are for use on my various websites and everything has been running smoothly. Customers are happy, there are of course the occasional refund as with any business and confused customer. However, I am also careful to make sure all complaints are handled and most of the time things are sorted out in less than 48 hours.

Today I wake up to find that my account has essentially be locked. I can not take payment or remove the $3000 sat in my account.

Calling PayPal I was told that I would have to email PayPal in order to find out what is happening and why and I could not be transferred to the department that would be handling the issue.

This is the message I received:
549744d1ecf61758d1ace6a42cb804ae

When I click the notification it cycles me back around to the same warning message.

Needless to say, I am rather annoyed.

Login to Me Too
94 REPLIES 94

FredOdezugo
Contributor
Contributor
Okay What do you suggest I can't wait for 6months , do you have an idea to regain my money back
Login to Me Too

55cadik77
Contributor
Contributor

I am going to update you. If they really have a common sense when I put everything clear, they should answer and restore my account.  I am also in contact with an ombudsman and some legal issues authorities too. Since I am sure that all of my actions are clear, not abusive or not risky; to accept terms & conditions can't mean that Paypal can do anything they want. I am not only requesting them to release my money I am also requesting them to let me use their platform properly. As they state that this is a platform providing money transfers & payments services etc. any type of restriction is discriminative if a user doesn't do anything wrong. They don't have right to decide everything on their own even though they own this platform. there is ethic rules & laws. You can't just say "I own this business I rule however I want"in any type of industry/business. People that giving up easy encouraging them in wrong direction and they begin to suppose themselves unquestionable.

Login to Me Too

chrisgreenlee13
Contributor
Contributor

So what action can we take because I'm just fed up now. I've tried to contact them several times and they just send me the same generic email response every time, how can they get away with this ? I have asked around four times now and they won't even tell me why they have blocked my account. 

We appreciate your interest in PayPal; however, our decision to leave your account in a permanent limitation status is final.
PayPal reserves the right to limit access to any account reported to be involved in possible fraudulent or high risk behaviour. In the event of a dispute, PayPal will seek to recover the funds from you by debiting your PayPal balance and, if there are not sufficient funds in your PayPal balance, PayPal reserves the right to collect your debt to PayPal by any other legal means.

Yours sincerely,
Peter 
PayPal account Review Department

Just the same generic crap every time I ask why they feel the need to hold my funds. 

Login to Me Too

chrisgreenlee13
Contributor
Contributor

to the last generic email I replied.

Dear Sir/Madam, 

since you have refused to give me a reasonable answer as to why my account was limited, I am now requesting that you send me the contact details to the Customer complaints department so that I may speak to someone on the phone and inform them of how I have feel my rights as a consumer have been infringed. If you cannot provide these details within a reasonable amount of time I will be reporting this conduct to the UK ombudsman.  

To which I again received this generic response, 

We appreciate your interest in PayPal. Unfortunately, our decision to close your account is final.

PayPal reserves the right to close any account reported to be involved in possible fraudulent or high risk behaviour. In the event of a dispute, PayPal will seek to recover the funds from you by debiting your PayPal balance. If the funds from your PayPal balance are insufficient, PayPal reserves the right to collect your debt to PayPal by any other legal means.

If you have money in your PayPal balance, we will hold it for up to 180 days. After that period, we will email you with information on how to access your funds.

In order to protect the integrity of the PayPal service, we cannot disclose the specific criteria that we sometimes use to limit access to accounts.

For more information on reasons why we might limit access to accounts, please refer to the ‘Closing Accounts and Limiting Account Access’ section of our User Agreement. You can find the User Agreement for PayPal Service by clicking ‘Legal Agreements’ at the bottom of any PayPal page.

How can they get away with this ?

Login to Me Too

55cadik77
Contributor
Contributor

ı advice you to to start your ombudsman process already. sometimes they reply event though it is a bit late since they permanently limited your account and to define more clear they dicredited you as a regular user. They behave like you never used their services or made them earn money on you (normal, acceptable, there must be fees for services) but what they do basically seem like they force their users to lend money to their company. They can't convince me another thing, since all my transactions were 100% legit. They can't have an excuse.

All in all please start your process with ombudsman. In my life, whatever problem I come across I don't give up. As long as they don't act responsibly. I will expose more what they are doing. To own a company doesn't give you a right to rule unethically. 

Basically I received payments for my products, buyers got their products but Paypal is keeping that money for their "security" reasons!?* Who shipped, gave these products to buyers, Paypal or me!? Also I received 47 payments in 3 months and none have any dispute or negative feedback or anything like this so. So what is the security purpose. What they clearly do is detaining my money, nothing explainable ethically.

As long as they don't admit or accept they were wrong about my issue. I will do my issue more public in every platform. They can't use my money for their company by not giving it to me for their unexplainable "security reasons". How they can say this unbelievable theories since all of my products delivered. They didn't think their security when I was still deliveing my orders while they were reviewing my account. How naive I was. I just thought that this was a routine. I could be able to receive and withdraw funds except the last 10-12 payments as they detained them even though there was %100 no problem about my actions.

Here I also share by censored table showing how carefully I have worked about my business. I don't know what is your issue but keep and collect every proof you have. I am going to change the status of my account. Because I am right! No one can detain my well deserved wealth that belongs to me it can be 1$ or 100$, that is, mine!

my payments, delivery proof links from official websites of shipping  companies, related ebay listingsmy payments, delivery proof links from official websites of shipping companies, related ebay listings

Login to Me Too

BCRJ99
Contributor
Contributor

I wrote on this a couple months back. my account was locked away from me with over £8,000 tucked away with it! I was finally able to get hold of a human being at PayPal TODAY! I was told my account funds will be released to me on the 02/02/2021. going back to September I seeked financial advice and legal advice from an ombudsmen. no hope really..... they basically said to me it will cost me money to get my money (which is actually bizarre!)  anyways going forward to today, my account has been butchered. money has gone missing (£1,500) and random disputes being raised from people I've sold to 6 months + ago. I'm just happy to see the day I'm allowed to withdraw my cash from this absolutely disgrace of a bank. this bank has lost me a potential business and a shot for success in a different industry for me. I was flying, my ebay had good reviews, all bad problems were dealt with in a professional way. proof of all shipping invoices were issued when asked for them along with any questions answered. I was trading for 3 weeks and had a turnover of £30,000 - from my ebay sales. as you could guess this COULD of been quite life changing for me. I'm not from a wealthy background so I couldn't turn to family for financial backing whilst my account and cashflow was on hold. I wish people luck on getting there money before the 180 days they tell people, I hope you get your money and are able to continue on what you was doing before you was put on hold. I didn't have much luck, but I guess if you manage to speak to someone that willing to help you for free then you've hit the jackpot. 

-Ben 

Login to Me Too

kristimalushi1
Contributor
Contributor
Hi, sorry to hear that about your business. but besides disputes do they actually release the funds after 180 days?
Login to Me Too

blingblingg
Contributor
Contributor
I hope we can file a class action lawsuit against them.
Login to Me Too

Baddkharma
Contributor
Contributor
I agree. A lot of complaining here. But no action suggestions
Login to Me Too

Baddkharma
Contributor
Contributor
Have you contacted the Financial Services Ombudsman? Any luck? PayPal is ridiculous. I have just been permanently banned as well. With no explanation. Been on hold for 30 minutes waiting to talk to a manager/someone in charge.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.