PayPal Not Providing Refund for Counterfeit Product Unless I Mail It to China

mikegoldstein31
Contributor
Contributor

I ordered paper towels from a Chinese company named HONGKONG DOOMOBI TECHNOLOGY CO.,LIMITED. When I received the package, it was clear that the product was bogus and counterfeit. The name "Bounty" was misspelled "Buonty". It is half the size of normal paper towel rolls. The item contains "rolls" made entirely of foam that serve no functional purpose.

I submitted a claim to PayPal (ID # PP-D-67988666) and the "resolution" is for me to receive a full refund after sending the package back to the company in China. I am concerned that the cost of sending this package is high and I have no faith that this fraudulent company would recognize the receipt of the package. It also is unnecessary to send back a worthless fake product.

I don't know how to escalate this dispute further with PayPal. Any human who sees the photo of the item can tell is is counterfeit. I also want to have this company removed from PayPal so that other innocent customers do not get scammed like me. How do I proceed??

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

sgksgk
Contributor
Contributor
Apparently paypal does NOT CARE if we get scammed. Go directly to your linked credit card company.
Login to Me Too

Ruckus21
Contributor
Contributor
Same issue, we bought alcohol wipes that came 1 month late, that were shredded cloth contained in an unusable dispenser that was apparently reused and scotch taped to hold it together. I complained to PayPal that there were many many other complaints, but got no answer. My suggestion: if you use PayPal, always use your credit card, and sweep any unused cash to your bank. Or, perhaps better, use a better service that attends to valid customer complaints rather than hides behind Covid statements. They have no problem sending out timely statements and collecting fees during the crises!!
Login to Me Too

melpharm21
New Community Member

I had the same issue, same company. Ordered VIVA Signature Cloth paper towels, express shipping, 3 bundles (as pictured on the left side of the photo). They used the VIVA Signature Cloth paper towel image on their website - and it is on my printed receipt. The products arrived very late outside the express shipping window and look like very small toilet paper rolls. Worthless, Obvious bait & switch, but also counterfeit VIVA paper towels, labeled VAVI w/same colors and labeling. This company makes counterfeit products, but in smaller sizes to save on shipping costs, then sells/ships them to unsuspecting U.S. buyers. Then, they make it very difficult for buyers to return for refunds.

I emailed the seller several times to get a response. I immediately asked for a refund and got the runaround. They offered a 40% discount on other products in lieu of refund. I said no thanks. Then they said they would take the product back but it would take a long time for it to get shipped back and they have a 14-day return window. Gave up and went thru PayPal. PayPal wanted me to ship back the counterfeit product across state and international borders to the seller at my expense.  I am unclear why we are expected to PAY SHIPPING to return bait & switch, counterfeit items to criminals through PayPal? PayPal closed the dispute because I too didn't feel good about shipping the product back.  So I was ripped off almost $90. Thanks PayPal!

This company knows how to scam and works the PayPal dispute process. Who feels comfortable paying for shipping back to China? Why should the victim of fraud pay for shipping product back so the seller can ship the fraudulent product to someone else? PayPal should have refunded the full price after receiving my detailed claim and picture of products received. Kimberly Clark, the manufacturer of VIVA, recommended filing with the FTC. It is frustrating to be ripped off by sellers preying on people trying to take care of their families and PayPal not really investigating the disputes.

image.png

  

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.