PayPal Hacked IP Address Found

SFCkb
New Community Member

I got a phone text from PayPal about a purchase for over $1,600.  I immediately looked at my paypal account and found that someone had made a purchase at Best Buy using my PayPal.  I contacted Best Buy, they said it was purchased online and I had to contact PayPal as there was nothing they could do.  Contacted PayPal but was unable to talk to anyone because it was after hours, put in a dispute anyway.  I called PayPal the next day to explain the situation, asked if they would cancel the payment but the item had already been picked up at the store.  It wasn't 24 hours later that they had made a decision that it was "not an unauthorized" purchase.  

The hacker, I believe, had gotten into my gmail account.  I say this because if you look at the lower right hand corner of your gmail (I don't know about other mail accounts) there is a "Details" button.  You can click this and it will show any logins to your mail account along with an IP address.  I looked up the IP address and it was located somewhere in Houston, TX,  same city as where the Best Buy store the item was picked up from.   This hacker had accessed my mail account several times in the last  24 hours.  I gave this information to PayPal hoping this could prove that I didn't make the purchase. 

How can Paypal make a decision in just a couple of hours that the purchase was not unauthorized?  Now I am stuck paying for an item that I didn't buy.  I've added the information the "Detail" button mainly to make others aware that you can check to see if anyone else is looking at your emails.    

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Cristina

Hi @SFCkb,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our Community Help Forum!

I am sorry about your issue. In this case, please click Contact at the bottom of the PayPal website for available options, or reach out by PM on Facebook or DM on Twitter.

I hope this helps.

Cristina

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.