PayPal Chargeback

kevin1410
Contributor
Contributor

I am livid that PayPal allows people to steal from others. I sold an iPhone for parts only for $285.15. I made a long lengthy description, took multiple photos, and described the problems with the phone in great detail. 4 months go by, and I receive an email from PayPal letting me know the buyer has opened a case with their bank because the item was not as described and my PayPal has been in the negative ever since. The buyer didn’t open a case with EBay or PayPal or send me any messages saying he had a problem with the item. After messaging the buyer, he claims he didn’t mean to open a dispute with his bank (I dont know how you accidentally do that) and that he’s happy with the item, has no complaints, and said he would get it taken care of. He has sent me screenshots of him emailing PayPal requesting the case be closed. I have been on hold with PayPal for hours calling every few days and getting the same “there’s nothing we can do at all until we hear from the buyers bank”. The buyers bank is overseas so that probably complicates things. To top it all off, the buyer said he’s not even in possession of the item anymore, he sold it. So, is PayPal seriously allowing people to open chargebacks and steal from people? They say I’m not covered by seller protection becusss the buyer opened a case through their bank claiming the item was not as described. How is this in any way shape or form fair? This is straight up theft. I have been a long time active PayPal and eBay user. Sure I’ve had my numerous run ins with eBay scammers but I’ve never been to the point where it hurt my wallet. If the end result is I lose the case, I will never use PayPal again. Because I now know I’m never protected from anything. They told me i should have been aware of the terms and conditions of seller protection. Oh yeah, my bad PayPal. I should’ve seen this coming. Their customer service in all of this has made things worse. I have done everything I can to plead my case by sending screenshots and adding tracking info but they don’t seem to care. The fact they even allowed the bank to open a chargeback is ridiculous.

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@kevin1410

Paypal seller protection is and can never be a 100% coverall, so you have to read up on it and then risk assess your transactions.

Sometimes you get scammed, it happens to us all, its just one of the risks of online selling.   Smiley Sad

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

kevin1410
Contributor
Contributor
But PayPal shouldn’t allow this scam. PayPal should be able to see the item has been sent to the buyer, the buyer opened a chargeback 4 months after receiving it, the buyer said he is happy with the item, and the buyer said he said sold the item. That should be grounds for case closed automatically and his bank should be notified of that. The PayPal rep told me himself he doesn’t agree with the policy. All this tells me is anyone can go to their bank months after buying an item and open a chargeback for no reason and get their money and keep the item. Is there anything I can do? Can I file a police report or dispute the chargeback through my bank?
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@kevin1410

A chargeback is done directly via the buyers credit or debit card issuer, its not a paypal dispute.

All paypal can do is pass information you provide on to that card issuer but the card issuer make any decisions and not paypal.

If you lose and you have seller protection then you are compensated, if you lose and you do not have seller protection then you are not.  Smiley Sad

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

kevin1410
Contributor
Contributor
I am well aware who initiated the dispute. My point is, PayPal should not allow the buyers financial institution to take money out of my PayPal account for a item I sold 4 months ago and for an item that I have evidence the buyer is happy with. So, tell me how it’s fair PayPal can allow this chargeback? This means anyone and their mother can buy an item on eBay....wait several months....and open a chargeback through their bank and get their money back and keep the item. I would be delighted to hear how you think that’s no stealing or “not a PayPal dispute”. PayPal is allowing this buyer and his bank to steal from me.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@kevin1410

I can only tell you how paypal works, whether I agree with it or not is immaterial to the advice I can give you and the facts of how paypal works.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.