PayPal Buyer Protection is a JOKE

tc111169
New Community Member
I purchased 2 items online while on Facebook not realizing I was buying from a Chinese factory. I’ve done business in China for over 25 years so my comments here a non biased due to nationality HOWEVER when I pay for something using PayPal I choose to do so because I am under the impression - BASED ON PAYPAL THEMSELVES - that there is some sort of “protection” for buyers that as an example send their money to buy a product but the product never ships. That’s what the resolution center is for, right? Sooooooo WRONG! I reached out to the “seller” thru PayPal and got no reply so I opened a claim. Really basic stuff - I paid. It’s been weeks and nothing has arrived. Seller won’t reply. I want my money back immediately. Pretty simple I thought. Not even close because it took what seemed like over a month for some genius to rule against me Because apparently the shipper provided “sufficient tracking information.” It’s funny because first the resolution date was set it changed multiple times. Pushed back twice if I remember correctly. Until finally some brilliant employee at PayPal (who I’m sure has years of dispute resolution on their resume) receives some tracking information for my package after weeks of me patiently waiting. I have never signed for any package. There was no package left on my porch. Nothing. And yet my purchase is protected somehow by the Buyers Protection Plan and PayPal’s magnificent reputation 🤮 I’m sorry but can’t be legal and I’m going to do something about this. I’m only talking about $64and some change but it’s the principal. I DID NOT RECV WHAT I ORDERED and now PayPal is not going to protect me as a buyer using their service. How can this be a legal business practice? It can’t be and I’m going to find out.
Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@tc111169 

Paypals dispute process is mostly automated, you file non receipt > seller provides tracking > seller normally wins.

So you need to........

APPEAL

To submit an appeal on the dispute that was closed, PayPal asks that you obtain a detailed report from the shipper/courier (on their letterhead or some other form of official stationary) that includes the address the seller gave them for the shipment or that includes a statement mentioning your address and saying the item was delivered to a different address.

https://www.17track.net/en
When you have that, contact PayPal via phone (log on to your account and click Contact at the bottom of the page, however that may not be an option at the moment due to covid), or via Facebook (send a Private Message to PayPal) or via Twitter (send a Direct Message to @AskPayPal) and say you want to appeal the denial of the dispute based on the shipper saying the item was delivered to a different address. Once it's submitted (you will be provided with directions on how to do that), the dispute will be reviewed further and a determination will be made.

You also have the option to contact your card issuer if you funded your paypal payment that way and see if they will do a chargeback for you.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Annie4u
Contributor
Contributor

I had the exact same thing happen to me! I'll NEVER purchase on Facebook again, they need to do something about letting these ripoff's sell on their site! I was given 3 bogus tracking numbers for one order. Did you check to see it the tracking number is valid? Let PayPal know that the tracking number is invalid because I'm sure it is. You haven't received your items so you can't prove they shipped them, especially if the tracking number is invalid. You have to keep contacting customer service every time there is any communication with the seller. Make sure PayPal knows that the information the seller is providing is invalid! Click on 'contact us' at the bottom of PayPal and choose 'phone call'. I did get my money back and I dealt with 3 sellers that ripped me off. Two on Facebook and another from a website that turned out to be a scam. I got all my money back! I fought to make sure PayPal knew these people were providing false information, etc. Keep in contact with PayPal over everything! It's sad to say but sometimes it's who you talk to that matters! Good luck!

Login to Me Too

Annie4u
Contributor
Contributor

PS: Make yourself a pain in the sellers behind! I had records of email messages and I took screen shots of messages I sent through the sellers website. Document every communication with the seller and let PayPal know you've been contacting them! If it's the same seller, look on their website under returns, I had a choice to cancel my order if it hadn't been shipped. Since I did't have a valid tracking number (which I let the seller know about, and asked them for a valid tracking number) I asked them to cancel my order, It didn't change anything with them but I let PayPal know that they have a policy that I should be able to cancel my order if it hadn't shipped and I didn't have a valid tracking number so it obviously didn't ship! Do what ever you can! I think it's worth doing over $5.00!!! 

Login to Me Too

Bring1
I've had a similar problem. I purchased a sea glass Christmas tree for $32. I received a time little plastic tree. I filled a claim. Seller offered me a $15. I refused in principal. After waiting weeks and the dates changing as well, PayPal just told me I have to file a police report or file with an agency on internet fraud and I don't have all the banking information because I used PayPal so I can't find. It's a scam and I'm not using PayPal anymore. I've been a loyal customer and have spent thousands through them. Are you freaking serious?
Login to Me Too

Annie4u
Contributor
Contributor

That really stinks and you should have more recourse. Did you use a credit card through PayPal? Talk to the credit card company and tell them what happened, maybe they will help. You know what sucks, so many businesses are providing seriously lacking customer service these days. I'm sure PayPal is one that is running on minimum staff with Covid right now. The people they do have on phones for this kind of problem likely don't give a darn 1st of all and 2nd, they don't have the training to handle these matters. If I were you, I would keep calling or sending PayPal messages until you get someone who will really help you. You can ask to speak with management. I have to say that I think I got my money back because I continued to contact them with documentation proving I contacted the seller to resolve the issue and they ignored me. I kept calling PayPal until I got someone on the phone who could explain how they came to the conclusion they did, to deny when you have the proof they are asking for, that seller blatantly committed fraud by misrepresentation. How can PayPal defend that and rule in the sellers favor? I was patient and professional when I spoke with them, I just let them know how this is affecting my life. It's a hard time for everyone and with the holiday season, people are shopping online to avoid Covid. Of course this is the time when scammers are out full force. That doesn't make it okay to be taken advantage of. Big news flash, be super careful buying ANYTHING on Facebook, lots of scammers. Facebook should be held responsible for allowing these people to blatantly rip consumers off. They know it's happening! I'll never buy on Facebook again! Use a credit card even if you use PayPal. You have the credit card company to back you also. I've started looking very carefully about where the item ships from. If it comes from China especially, I usually don't purchase or I take the risk of it being junk. I have been able to get my money back many times using PayPal. But I fight. I don't take no for an answer until I've exhausted every avenue. Good luck, I know it's frustrating.

Login to Me Too

815lynnr
Contributor
Contributor

Same thing happened to me.  Two crappy plastic trees.  They offered an $8 refund. I don’t feel like PayPal is any help.  I’m gonna cancel my account with them.

Login to Me Too

FL0WL0W
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem. I spend over 10k a year through paypal and they can't even refund me 33.98

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.