PayPal Account Limitations over my name!

OtMiller97
Contributor
Contributor

I set up my PayPal back in 2016, now (not thinking it was a big deal back then but now I really regret doing so) I used the nickname Omar when I set it up at the time, but my birth name is Otis. from there I mainly used the service to purchase stuff off Ebay, everything was going pretty good, until this November when I decided to become a seller. Now I started to sell some stuff on eBay because I wanted to raise some money for the holidays, and as soon as funds were added into my account, it was placed on a temporary hold..at first. So I called PayPal, after not getting through to anybody and the line dropping dead after six rings, I finally managed to talk to someone and the guy I talked to wasn't very helpful, even though I proved to him that I used a nickname when setting up paypal and that I submitted a name change request, he still wasnt much help with the issue so I wound up calling the next day, telephone support for PayPal is abbysmal in quality, I've dialed them over 20 times with no answer after I get directed, had to have the automated system call me back every time, this time I was greeted to a friendly woman and once I explained the situationo to her, she enusred me that the issue would be resolved and that they would put it into my notes that the name Omar is a nickname. After the phone conversation wrapped up she put me at ease for the day telling me to relax and that I shouldn't stress, well now those feelings are completely invalidated, why? Because I received this email early in the morning? Hello Omar <removed>, For the safety and security of the PayPal network, we often review accounts for potential risks. After reviewing your account, we have decided to close it because of security issues. We are making every effort to minimize any disruption to your business. If your PayPal account balance is zero, and you have no unresolved buyer complaints or chargebacks, your account will remain limited. ----------------------------------- Disbursement options ----------------------------------- Option 1. If you owe refunds to any of your buyers, you can use the money in your PayPal account to refund them. To refund your buyers: 1. Log in to your PayPal account. 2. Click "Contact Us" at the bottom of any page. 3. Click "Contact Customer Service." 4. Under "Choose a Topic," select "Sending/Receiving Money." 5. Under "Choose a Subtopic," select "Refund/Cancel a Payment." 6. Click "Continue" and follow the instructions to refund payments. Option 2. Money in your PayPal account will be held for 180 days. After 180 days, we'll email you information on how to receive your funds. We regret any inconvenience this may cause. Thanks, Why?? PayPal? Why?! I completely understand that this is all for security to prevent fraud and people have been getting scammed, but this is like punishment for no valid reasoning whatsoever! I'm being told I can't use PayPal? Over my name? I've known people to use nicknames and aliases on PayPal all the time, the issue was not that serious! And the fact that when things got much worse and worse, you all have been completely unreachable via telephone and these are totally unacceptable business practices! Your a million/billion dollar corporation! Why am I being brutalized? I never did anything fraudulent, I just wanted to sell on eBay to raise some money for the holidays, now my account is locked down for the next 180 days(totally ridiculous!!) and with that I won't be able to do anything with the money I worked hard to earn... So thank you PayPal! for adding more stress into my life and punishing a legitimate user of your services who wasn't trying to do fraud or scam people, has anybody other than me come across this issue? And did they overcome it somehow and get their money back from these people? It just seems really unfair to withhold my funds from me for 4 months over something as small as a nickname, I DONT, REPEAT DONT want to get arbitration or legal action involved, but this is beyond unfair!

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor
Wall of text....please use paragraphs.

Also, maybe remove all the trash talk if you want somebody to help. I typically try not to insult the people I'm requesting help from. 😉

Please format your stuff here and I'd be happy to take the time to read and see if I can help. Right now it hurts my eyes.

Angell EYE - www.angelleye.com
PayPal Partner and Certified Developer - Kudos are Greatly Appreciated!
Login to Me Too

OtMiller97
Contributor
Contributor
I'm typing from a small phone and this issue just happened, so please excuse the fact that it's formatted that way and hurting your eyes (noticed it after it was posted) And what exactly did I say that was trash talk? I haven't been able to get through to technical support at all and I've been calling them all morning but the line keeps failing for some reason. I didn't disrespect any of paypals employees, i just said the ones i talked to in the beginning respectfully couldnt do too much about my problem. I just need help!😣
Login to Me Too

OtMiller97
Contributor
Contributor
I don’t understand why you’d even respond to this and not offer any insight, yet complain about how I’m typing. If it hurts that much to read, then you shouldn’t have even responded to me. UPDATE: I’ve been in touch with them directly and were resolving it at the moment, so thanks for nothing.😊
Login to Me Too

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor

I spend a lot of time in online communities like this one. While my feedback might have sounded snarky, it's real.

When somebody is taking their time to get as many answers to as many people as they can (for free) it's very easy to open a post like this and simply click the back button.

If you want as many responses as possible, take a little bit of time to structure your post. If you typed this whole thing up a phone then adding spacing in paragraphs wouldn't be difficult to include.

So it wasn't just about hurting my eyes...it was the point that in general, if you want better help from communities like this (whether it's PayPal and payments or something entirely different) you should make it easy for people to help you.

Also, when we do try to read the unformatted text and one of the first things we see is a sentence like "support for PayPal is abbysmal" followed by a tangent...well, let's just say that doesn't help either.

You may be completely right. But if you're seeking help, suck it up and leave that out. It doesn't help us to help you at all.

Sorry again if I sounded snarky in my last response or this one. Really just trying to help.

Angell EYE - www.angelleye.com
PayPal Partner and Certified Developer - Kudos are Greatly Appreciated!
Login to Me Too

OtMiller97
Contributor
Contributor
Ok cool, while your opionated statement was "real", and so were my statements on PayPal not having great telephone support. They're line drops every time I get directed to talk to someone. But I'm speaking from my personal experience alone about a issue I ran into earlier in the week, that I'm in the process of getting resolved. At the end of the day this is a free public forum via internet where's there's literally unlimited free information flowing via Google and other sources. So you really can't bring up not being paid for doing a service you volunteerd for. Also not to be disrespect but you cannot tell me to suck anything up and hold anything back, period. You may be right as well, but you can also choose what to react to. You didn't have to respond to this post (while I do appreciate the help and intelligent conversation on grammar and structuring) specifically, you could have easily clicked back. Its obvious that at the time of me posting this, the incident was clearly fresh, and I was honestly upset about what had happened, all coupled with no phone support to resolve the issue directly, I was upset. The mobile website posted it in this format for some unknown reason btw (which is why it's looks this way if it's bundled up.) I'm sure I'm not the first and won't be the last person you come across whose upset and seeking insight from someone whose gone through a similar issue on a forum. But you can't tell a person whose used PayPal for years now might I add, what to put in their statements they make public without even really addressing the issue I was seeking help with. 😉Again, thanks for the grammar conversation, not downplaying what you do, but the internet is vast, infinite and full of places to turn.
Login to Me Too

mdotharis
New Community Member

Hi @OtMiller97

I hope you are well. I am currently experiencing the same problem you were. I have been a member with paypal since 2012 and used my nickname. any advise you can give me in helping me resolve my issue fast. 

Any advise would help, thanks again 🙂 

#180days 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.