Pay pal wants me to prove I am a business but I don't need to in my country

yellowfr3ak

So I am self employed and make less than what I need to to become incorporated in my country.

https://www.ird.govt.nz/roles/self-employed

BUT paypal wants me to prove my business registration in order to keep using my business type account.
Well I am a business but not registered under these circumstances.

When I switched to business type it was because I was prompted to, in order to deal with more money and it never asked for this crap.

I'm going to call in 30 min when the help center opens but what the heck paypal?

Side note: I did become incorporated before I started because I wanted to cover my butt, but am in the process of closing that.

Any advice?
Can I send a letter stating I do not need to be incorporated whilst keeping my business type account?

That or I switch to strip guys, this is ridiculous.

Also, if this is the wrong board let me know, my first time posting.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@yellowfr3ak 

In your business information settings, did you select "Individual" as the 'business type' as opposed to Corporation, LLC, Non-profit, etc? Ask PayPal if you can switch to "individual" in your business information settings as you are not a 'registered business'.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

yellowfr3ak

@sharpiemarker

I'm pretty sure that is what I selected in the beginning, but I will bring that up when I call! Thank you.
Maybe paypal was notified of my unnecessary incorporation status and that's why they prompted me to add additional info?
Well, hopefully the call will clear that up.

I did send along the info they asked for in order to remove the limit (I need to pay rent and buy food still)

but I will explain the situation to the help center.

Login to Me Too

yellowfr3ak

Okay so I called and they said the info was sound and that they would note everything ^^
Thank you for the help. I did mention the individual thing and we were able to go from there.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.