Paid for tickets, refunded then asked for payment to different account

iancbaldwin92
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there,

I have a question, i'm not sure about the nuances of paypal so I just want to make sure i am not being scammed. 

Basically i responded to an ad online for some football tickets. The tickets cost £136 so i paid the seller via goods and services. He has just emailed me to say that 'for tax purposes' he'd like me to pay his partner's account instead. He has refunded the original £136 but this will take a week to process.

Obviously i'd really like the tickets and they are highly sought after. Am i safe to pay this new paypal account he has asked? What i am thinking of doing is waiting until the refund is processed and then paying to limit my liability.

Am i full covered via buyer protection for this purchase as it was made with goods and services? What would happen if i paid the new account and the account got closed? would i still be able to get my money back?

Thanks in advance

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Martin

Hi @iancbaldwin92

Welcome to our Community!

As long as you pay for the tickets using "goods and services" you should be covered by our Buyer/Purchase Protection. You will find more detail about this here.

In general, with tickets please check if they are transferable or it is permitted to change ownership.

If the seller asks you to send the payment as a personal payment using our "Friend and Family " option, I would be more skeptical there. 

Thanks

Martin

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.