Paid a poser of a real business (was scammed) can’t get $ back

Bmh4795
New Community Member
My son thought he was paying the creator of custom sneakers. The kid’s website says to message him and that he will then DM you. Well what ended up happening is a poser DMd my son with the PayPal acct to pay and a picture of some sneakers saying “I haven’t yet put these on the website.” That enticed my son. He really liked them and he paid that account. The dm came from the exact name and pic as the sneaker guy except blixacustoms was blixacustomz (there was a z rather than an s and my son didn’t notice). So now he lost 200 dollars he saved up cutting grass. I thought it was a dumb way to spend his money anyway, but still, it’s his money. My PayPal acct is linked directly to my checking account, so do you think the bank would reverse the transaction since PayPal won’t reverse friends and family transactions?
Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Bmh4795 

You would need to check with your bank, but be careful as its against paypal rules to use paypal to pay for goods/services for a friends/family transaction.

However normally you would only be covered by a credit card, don't think banks chequing account or debit cards cover you but ask anyway.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.